Chapter 406 - Flight Point

Nie Yan checked the stat bonuses for 10-Man Commander—Defense +5% and Health +7%—only marginally better than the Defense +3% and Health +5% for Soldier. But every percent counted, even more so given his base stats were much higher than the average player.

It looks like visiting the Underworld is going to become a regular thing. Maybe becoming a Great General isn’t that far fetched, after all, Nie Yan couldn’t help but muse. The Evil Faction players gave him a wide berth of space as he leisurely strolled forward. His awe-inspiring display of might had thoroughly deterred them, especially after seeing the countless scattered bodies that trailed behind him on the ground.

Just as Nie Yan finished dispatching several more Thieves, the cold light of a dagger flashed behind him.

You’ve finally shown yourself! Nie Yan smirked. This fellow had kept him waiting long enough.

Les dashed up from behind and struck Nie Yan’s head with a Smothering Strike.

Gale Step!

Nie Yan blocked the attack and countered with a Concussive Blow to the forehead.

At this moment, Les spun around to avoid the attack. With a flick of his wrist, he switched to a reverse grip and plunged his dagger toward Nie Yan’s back.

This was the Freedom Skill of a Great Thief, Reverse Grip Backstab!

Whether it was the Undead Empire, Viridian Empire, or any other, the first class advancement of all Thieves was a Great Thief. So, the skills and combat techniques they learned were fairly similar.

Nie Yan finally caught a glimpse of his assailant. It was actually the Undead Thief that Plenty had previously assigned to escort him. Warlance informed him that this fellow was expelled from Fallen Angel as a show of sincerity. 

Still not convinced, so you came looking for revenge, eh? Nie Yan smirked. I don’t mind sending you back to the grave again!

Les’ dagger flickered with a green light. It was coated in poison!

Les’ expression was fierce. He had smeared the blade of his dagger with the venom of a Roman Viper, the 36th most venomous snake in the Underworld. Its venom could paralyze a target for three seconds and prevent them from activating any movement skills for the duration of the debuff.

As long as Nie Yan was even nicked by the blade, he would surely die!

Nie Yan never expected Les to know how to pull off Reverse Grip Backstab. Every single movement was carved deeply into his mind.

Ever since Nie Yan started unravelling the mysteries of a Shadow Dancer, his comprehension ability had increased greatly. Although he had witnessed others execute Reverse Grip Backstab in the previous timeline, his memory had grown fuzzy over time. Now that he was witnessing Les using the skill in real time, everything came surging back.

Les’ Reverse Grip Backstab was about to land, but Nie Yan showed no sign of moving. At the very last moment, he raised his dagger to parry while simultaneously the mallet of a Vampire Crusher came out of nowhere and smashed into Les, sending him hurtling several meters backwards.

Les landed back on his feet with a flip, but his face was aghast in horror by the fact that Nie Yan could still control a minion in the heat of battle! This was ridiculous!

Truthfully, this move wasn’t all that special to Nie Yan. By Conviction’s 10th anniversary in the previous timeline, almost every expert was capable of pulling off these sorts of tricks with relative ease.

Conviction could greatly improve the reaction time and thought process of the player. There had never been a virtual reality game in the past that through electrical impulses could alter the player’s physique. But Conviction had succeeded. This was also why the game had obtained the support of the federation.