Chapter 548 - The War Begins

Not long after Alliance of Mages' forces withdrew from the five strongholds, close to 150,000 players from the five branch guilds under Asskickers United garissoned them. They were responsible for the defense of the strongholds until Asskickers United's main army arrived.

According to the bet, Alliance of Mages wasn't allowed to attack these strongholds for a month. However, this didn't apply to Divine Protectors!

Close to 200,000 players from Divine Protectors were rushing over to Moonlight City.

As the old proverb goes, without the lips, the teeth will feel cold. Though Holy Flame and Crazy Magic appeared friendly on the surface, the two were fierce competitors, never willing to bow to the other. However, Holy Flame understood that if Alliance of Mages collapsed, Divine Protectors would be next. When Crazy Magic sought him out for help, even though he didn't want to get involved with this mess, he still decided to lend his aid, dispatching 200,000 players.

After operating in Moonlight City for so long, Alliance of Mages had established more than a dozen branch guilds, making up nearly 600,000 players. Combined with the 200,000 from Divine Protectors, that was a total of 800,000 players.

With such a large defending army, Moonlight City was practically impenetrable. It wasn't going to be easy for Nie Yan to conquer. Even though Alliance of Mage's top elites were far below Asskickers United's, their guild was more than several times larger. Furthermore, Moonlight City was Alliance of Mages' home turf. Asskickers United was the invader. No matter how prestigious their reputation was, they would inevitably invite the scorn of the local players.

Even a powerful dragon can't suppress a local snake!

Asskickers United's only advantage was their 15 Armoured Ice Catapults. Meanwhile, Alliance of Mages only had 5 catapults altogether.

Previously, Bloodlust Blades had nearly brought Asskickers United to their knees with just three catapults. It was easy to imagine what could be achieved with 15 Armoured Ice Catapults. In terms of military might, Asskickers United was far stronger than Alliance of Mages and Divine Protectors.

Asskickers United's main army was still advancing towards Moonlight City. After collecting his spoils from winning the bet against Alliance of Mages, Nie Yan immediately got to work, relocating all of the guild's Engineers, Enchanters, and other artisans to the five strongholds and having them working around the clock building catapults. Besides this, another powerful war engine, one specialized for sieging strongholds, was being built-a trebuchet!

The maximum range of trebuchets was 1,500 meters, far above that of catapults. They also dealt additional damage to fortified walls, making them extremely effective for sieges.

Apart from Asskickers United's main army, Holy Empire, Sapphire Shrine, Radiant Sacred Flame, and the others had also dispatched their own armies over to provide support. Nie Yan added all the forces up together. His total army size was over 300,000 strong. These players were on average stronger than those from Alliance of Mages and Divine Protectors. Alliance of Mages and Divine Protectors were only so big because their recruitment requirements were much more lax compared to Asskickers United and the other guilds.

Alliance of Mages and Divine Protectors had attempted to intercept Asskickers United's forces mid-journey several times, only to be repelled by the Armoured Ice Catapults time and time again.

The frightening destructive might of the Armoured Ice Catapults was engraved deeply into the hearts of the players from Alliance of Mages and Divine Protectors.