Chapter 492 - Challenge

"What, would I lie to you?" Nie Yan laughed. He knew just how skilled Zhai Hao, Li Rui, and Liu Xuchen were. Although they weren't amazing, they were still decent enough. After a few dungeon runs with Bladelight, Smoke Stub, and the others-to raise the quality of their gear and levels-even if they couldn't become top experts, they could still at least mingle with the likes of Sesame Cake.

Asskickers United didn't lack experts, but a few crucial leadership roles still remained vacant. The loyalty of the people below wasn't a sure thing. It was important for Nie Yan to have confidantes he could put his absolute trust in. If a spy from a rival guild ended up in a position of power, things would become troublesome.

It would be unfair to the other members of Asskickers United if Nie Yan allowed Zhai Hao, Li Rui, and Liu Xuchen to enter through the backdoor. Whereas if they didn't rely on anyone to get in, it proved they had some ability.

"Sure, as long as you have a use for us, we'll do our best to help. Just take good care of us!" Zhai Hao said. Sitting close by, Li Rui and Liu Xuchen also nodded.

"I can't play favourites and ignore Asskickers United's rules. At most I can ask some friends to help carry you guys through a few more dungeons. As for equipment, feel free to ask, the items in the treasury should fulfill your needs. Whether or not you can rise in ranks will depend on your own abilities. It won't help if I artificially boost you guys up. You'll have to prove your own worth," Nie Yan said. Everything in the treasury belonged to him. He was free to give the items inside to whoever he pleased. However, that was the limit. Some rules had to be followed. If he showed blatant disregard to his own rules, what kind of message would that send to those below?

"Of course I understand." Zhai Hao nodded.

"It's good enough that you understand. If you guys can climb up the ranks in the guild, I'll be even happier," Nie Yan said. He was looking forward to Zhai Hao, Li Rui, and Liu Xuchen's growth. After all, they were his sworn brothers!

Nie Yan planned to put Zhai Hao, Li Rui, and Liu Xuchen under the care of Bladelight, Smoke Stub, and the others for a while. As for how far they could climb in the end, that depended on themselves.

After the performance came to an end, Nie Yan and Xie Yao headed to their homeroom with Zhai Hao, Xia Ling, and the others. Everyone in Class 3 was gathering back there for one last time.

As the group entered the classroom, Nie Yan looked around. He spotted Jiang Yingyu at the far end of the room. She still hadn't gotten a chance to change out of her leotard. Liu Rui and his lackeys were also gathered in a corner. Upon seeing him, they immediately revealed hostile expressions.

Liu Rui had also managed to get into the Top Military Academy. It seemed like the future wouldn't be lonely. Nie Yan doubted Liu Rui would be so foolish as to try anything in the open, but it was still better to watch his back. Small characters like Liu Rui were always up to something.

"My grandfather and Liu Rui's family had a falling out," Xie Yao whispered.

Nie Yan's heart trembled. He turned to Xie Yao with slight concern on his face.

"It's nothing to worry about. The Liu Family has always been a thorn in my grandfather's side. However, the investment into Conviction reaped an unexpectedly great harvest. No one in the Dragonsoar Financial Group expected it to be so profitable. Many people became greedy and tried to demand a share of the pie. Little did they know that during this time my grandfather used the opportunity to do some restructuring, booting out several people from the financial group." Xie Yao gave Nie Yan a grateful look. Not only did Asskickers United's rapid rise allow Xie Yao's grandfather to recoup his initial investment, but he had also profited immensely. This even helped prevent the Dragonsoar Financial Group's situation from turning dire. They faced threats both internally and externally, with the Liu Family stirring trouble on the inside and the Century Financial Group glaring covetously on the outside. With the huge success in the virtual reality game industry, Xie Yao's grandfather once more solidified his position in the Dragonsoar Financial Group. He was basically untouchable now.