Chapter 487 - Fate Wheel

"Get anything good lately from grinding and questing?" Nie Yan asked. He hadn't chatted like this with Tang Yao in a long time.

"I got a pet Ghost Wolf now. I also found some kind of book filled with a bunch of runes. I have no idea what it's for, but I received a quest for it. I couldn't find out anything else on it, though. You know, the official website really is disgusting sometimes. It doesn't even give a scrap of information on high difficulty quests."

"A book filled with runes...? Is it by chance Malkinson's Runic Book?" Nie Yan asked pensively.

"Huh, yeah. How did you know? I searched online but couldn't find anything. Do you know something about it?"

Nie Yan did know a thing or two about Malkinson's Runic Book. According to legend, it belonged to the Mage God Malkinson. In the previous timeline, Young Goon of the Three Great Magisters wielded this book as his secondary weapon. He never expected in this life it would fall in the hands of Tang Yao. As for Young Goon, he hadn't heard any word of him yet.

History had changed yet again due to Nie Yan's intervention.

"You should work hard on that quest. I'm sure you'll get something good out of it. Malkinson is the legendary Mage God of the Viridian Empire. He's a master of the arcane," Nie Yan said.

"Oh, really? I guess I'll have to start taking this quest more seriously!"

Nie Yan had only heard of Malkinson's Runic Book in passing. He didn't actually know enough to help Tang Yao with the quest.

"Beside the Darkwing Dragon, did you get anything else worth mentioning?" Tang Yao asked.

Nie Yan recalled the Song of the Bramble Bird. After obtaining the book, he hadn't yet gotten a chance to flip through its pages. The Song of Bramble Bird was sung throughout the lands by countless wandering bards. Blimer was a bard. Perhaps he knew more of it?

"I recently obtained a book named Song of the Bramble Bird. I think it's an item for triggering a quest. Let's head to a bar and take a look at what's inside," Nie Yan said.

The two found a bar not much later and sat down in a secluded corner. Nie Yan took out Song of the Bramble Bird from his bag and placed the book on the table.

When Nie Yan flipped to the first page, a peculiar feeling sprouted in his heart. As if guided by some mysterious force, he ran his finger across the several bolded words on the header.

Pursue the vestiges of the Dark Era. The most beautiful of things are birthed from the greatest of suffering. Seek out the Assassin's Heart. Allow its flames to blossom in your hands.

Nie Yan checked his quest window.

Quest Progress: Seek out the Assassin's Heart.

Looking at the difficulty, this was a Legendary quest!

As for what the Assassin's Heart was, Nie Yan had no idea. It was probably related to the Eight Thieves. He flipped through Song of the Bramble Bird, skimming through numerous pages written in Ancient Common.

"Brandishing Scoigne's Infernal Dagger, its blossoming flames swallowing up all life. Through endless pain and suffering, the people still deserve to live... In the darkness, the slaves pray for the light... Despite knowing they faced destruction, they still forged ahead like moths to a flame. For the sake of seeking out the light and warmth, with unshakeable resolve and determination, they still staked their lives to pursue freedom..."

Inside were the biographies of the Eight Thieves. All of them came from different backgrounds. One grew up as a blacksmith. Another was as a pickpocket. Still another lived a life in slavery. After suffering all kinds of torment and hardship, they were brought together by fate and became famed assassins. Their final battle which ultimately led to their deaths became a legend.