Chapter 450 - Challenge

Nie Yan had still been holding onto the notion that he and Bayonet were going to interact with each other as friends. However, Bayonet didn't make friends with anyone. In his field, one more friend meant one more liability. He treated his relationship with Nie Yan as purely business, nothing more. Nie Yan paid him money, and he would carry out the work. Friendship, getting along with others, such companionship was meaningless to him. His several brothers were comrades-in-arms who had travelled with him from battlefield to battlefield. As for anyone else, he treated them coldly and indifferently, including Nie Yan!

Bayonet's words reminded Nie Yan that their relationship was purely professional.

Nie Yan understood Bayonet's principle. Since it was like this, there was nothing else to say. He would treat Bayonet like an ordinary mercenary for the time being.

「It's like you said. From this day forward, you are my shadow. I'll provide you with the locations of some Legendary-grade equipment. I want you to start collecting them and give me a progress report every day before logging off. As for the fifth volume of the Book of Order, if someone obtains the last chapter, do not try to snatch it. Avoid engaging at all costs!」Nie Yan said. He had already changed history by triggering the release of the Buried History expansion early after completing the Glimpse of Darkness. Bayonet had five chapters from the fifth volume of the Book of Order in his possession. If he obtained the last chapter, he would trigger the release of a whole nother expansion, and history would be irreversibly changed even more.

Nie Yan wanted to utilize the experience from his past life to grow as powerful as possible. So when the day came that history was completely changed, he would have the strength to face the unknown.

Bayonet was somewhat taken aback. Didn't collecting all the chapters of a volume give a Legendary-grade item? Why did Nie Yan want him to hold out on collecting the last chapter?

Even though Bayonet had his doubts, he had his code as a mercenary. He would never question the employer's reasoning. He would carry out whatever he was instructed to do.

「Understood.」Bayonet nodded.

「I'll let you go about your business then.」Nie Yan hung up the call.

It would take Bayonet at least five days to finish the task Nie Yan had assigned him. When the quality of his gear improved, Nie Yan would have him collect even rarer items.

Bayonet immediately set off to work.

After riding on his Faulkner Warhorse for about 50 minutes, a grand stronghold appeared on the horizon. It resembled a giant dragon coiled around the ravines of the wasteland.

The stronghold's walls, constructed out of huge stone blocks, stood over 20 meters tall. It was rumoured the leader of the Viridian Empire, Jebiah the Great, had gathered hundreds of thousands of people back in the day for the sake of building this stronghold. Like ants making a nest, they transported the highest quality materials from all over the land and slowly built it up block by block.

This was a formidable super stronghold with unrivalled defenses. It was also home to more than 100,000 people, a population on par with most cities.

These thick walls defended against the evil beings that flooded out of the Underworld every year, forming the Viridian Empire's strongest defensive line.

Nie Yan spurred his Faulkner Warhorse to go even faster, galloping at full speed towards the Hilton Stronghold, where he could receive his reward for slaying the Legendary Necromancer Nadago.

...

Meanwhile, trouble was brewing over in Calore.

Two players from Angel Corps emerged from the Calore transfer area. One was an elven Thief fully clad in Sub Legendary-grade equipment. He wore a forest green vest made out of vines and had two ivory daggers which flickered with a green lustre holstered on his waist. The other player was an orc Warrior with pale yellowish skin. He was tall, muscular, and built like an ox. He carried two giant two-handed greatswords on his back. The blades were broad, looking like heavy slabs of metal. Berserkers had a unique trait that allowed them to dual wield two-handed swords!