Chapter 476 - Song of the Bramble Bird

Nie Yan picked up the cloak. It was raven black, the collar delicately embroidered with the design of a golden bramble bird. It could completely cover him, like a mantle.

Nie Yan's eyes widened in surprise. This bramble bird design was quite unique, originating from all the way back in the Dark Era. It had a long and rich history, the symbol of the Eight Thieves-the Bramble Birds. Their goal was to rescue enslaved humans from the clutches of the dragons, killing hundreds of dragon race nobility in the process. On their last mission, the Bramble Birds succeeded in assassinating Dragon Archduke Kotni, but at the cost of their lives. That event became their defining moment and swan song.

Bramble birds were ugly little birds, treated as pests and eyesores by the general public. They would only sing a single song their whole lives. From the moment they left their nest, they would tirelessly seek out a bramble tree. Upon finding one, they would impale their delicate bodies on the longest and sharpest thorn, and chirp out a song as they bled to death. A truly heartbreaking sight. The beautiful melody, akin to the red clouds at dusk, eclipsed any sound in the world! After exhausting their vitality, they would die with their song.

Their lives were tragic suffering molded into everlasting beauty.

The Eight Thieves were bramble birds, sacrificing their brilliant lives to create an everlasting legend. Their achievements were engraved in the minds of countless people.

"Legends speak of the bramble bird, singing only once in its entire life.
Yet the song was more beautiful than any sound in the world.
The moment they left their nests, they would tirelessly seek out a bramble tree.
After finding one, they would impale themselves on the longest and sharpest thorn.
On that desolate branch, they would chirp their hearts out.
In their dying moments, they stood aloof from their suffering.
Their melody even put the nightingale and skylark to shame.
This was an incomparably beautiful song, the last embers of a fading life.
However, the world quietly listened. Even God was smiling from up above.
Because the most beautiful thing could only be borne from the greatest suffering."
-(Bramble Bird)

The Eight Thieves took on the suffering and sorrow of countless people. After their passing, the design of the bramble bird was no longer used by anyone else. Their story was passed down from generation to generation. The wandering bards sung of their tales, sharing it with all those who would listen on their travels.

You have discovered the Shadow Walker Cloak. You gently wipe off the dust and let out a sorrowful sigh. May the departed rest in peace. May the painful memories be lost in the wilderness of time. Let us wait for the dawn after the night. Follow the footsteps of the heroes, and let the bramble bird freely sing...

Nie Yan felt there was more to this notification. But since no quest was triggered, he could do nothing about it. He examined the properties of the cloak.

Shadow Walker Cloak (Bronze): Special Item

Description: A relic of the Dark Era, passed down by the Light.

Properties: Hides all the information of the user. Allows the user to keep their name hidden when attacking other players.

Dark Dancer: Cloaking +300%, Makes the user immune to inspection, but they can still be detected. Skill is broken if the user is attacked or makes physical contact with an enemy. Duration: 10 minutes. Cooldown: 3 hours.

The Shadow Walker Cloak didn't give any direct stat bonuses, but its properties were extremely useful. For example, the ability to keep his name and information concealed from inspection would save him a lot of unnecessary trouble. The Dark Dancer skill would also come quite in handy when doing quests or exploring.