Chapter 598 - Town Slaughter!

Nie Yan thought Cranston was some mysterious NPC with a hidden quest. It turned out he was actually just a merchant! He felt slightly depressed when he thought of how much time he'd wasted. Cranston only started paying attention to him after he finished reading his book!

Were this real life, any merchant that dared to treat their customers this way would surely starve to death!

However, after giving it some thought, Nie Yan realized this was likely a trigger. The player had to sit through Cranston's entire sermon before they could purchase something from him.

Nie Yan found it strange he'd never heard of such an NPC in his past life.

A shop window popped up in front of Nie Yan. Cranston only had three items for sale. His eyes widened in shock. Damn! Someone actually sells these items?

The first item listed up for sale was a black crystal. It looked like a lump of coal, lacking the slightest sparkle. However, Nie Yan's heart trembled when he read the name. It was a Resurrection Crystal! 

Resurrection Crystal: Revive a fallen pet. Consumed upon use.
Price: 200,000 gold

The other two items didn't lose out either.

Arcane Gem (Socketable): Increases the damage of arcane magic by 30%.
Price: 200,000 gold

Mysterious Black Egg: Found by Cranston during his prime. A powerful creature slumbers inside.
Price: 500,000 gold

None of these items were things that normal players could afford, and this was after the discount Nie Yan received from his Grand Scholar title.

"When I was still a young man, I slayed a dragon. These are the items I obtained from it..." Cranston started recounting the stories of his youth.

Nie Yan had no interest in listening to Cranston any longer. He quickly had Guo Huai transfer over the gold to him. He couldn't let this opportunity slip by, no matter what!

Before long, Nie Yan bought all three items from Cranston for 900,000 gold. Spending so much in one go was a bit painful. However, it was definitely worth it. If you put these three items up on the auction house, even 1,500,000 gold wouldn't necessarily be enough to buy them all.

Cranston continued, "After I defeated the dragon, the father of this little church offered me something. He wanted me to set on the path of a hero and become a legend. Sadly I failed to live up to his expectations. When he passed away many years later, I took over his position and have been keeping watch over this place ever since. The days flew by and before I knew it, I'd become a decrepit. I feel deeply ashamed just thinking of it. Youngster, would you be willing to fulfill this old man's wish?"

Nie Yan's heart trembled. It was a quest.

"Of course, sir Cranston. What would you like me to do?

"This is the bracelet the father gave me. It will guide you. Please, if you decide to accept this, prepare yourself mentally for this challenge." Cranston took out a plain looking silver white link and chain bracelet.

Will you accept Cranston's request?

As long as it was a quest, regardless of the difficulty, Nie Yan would accept. With his current strength, no quest was impossible for him! If he couldn't do it, no one could! Then what meaning would there be to have such a quest in the game?

Nie Yan hit yes without the slightest hesitation. As he carefully accepted the bracelet from Cranston, a notification popped up.

You have received the quest Heart of a Hero.