Chapter 586 - The Seventh Character Property

Edminson snored faintly. It seemed like he was deep asleep.

Nie Yan started getting anxious. He didn't know how long it would take for Edminson to wake up.

Was he going to be standing next to this old man all day?

A few minutes later, Nie Yan started growing restless. His time was still precious. He could've gained quite a bit of experience from grinding by now.

"I should just wake him up..." Nie Yan muttered. He stepped forward, only to have a pungent stench waft up his nose. He reeled back with a frown. It smelled like dirty socks that hadn't been washed in months.

It wasn't strange that most players didn't hold a favourable opinion of Edminson.

Edminson looked like a homeless beggar. It was a wonder why the Royal Library would hire this NPC as an overseer.

Nie Yan grimaced. This stench was really too foul. "I should just get my business with him over with, so I can leave quickly." He was about to nudge Edminson awake, when he thought of something and retreated back.

Every NPC in Conviction had their own unique background. It wasn't wise to judge a book by its cover. After all, as a master of over 200 languages, Edminson's status in the Viridian Empire could possibly be even higher than his. Waking up Edminson like this might lead to unforeseen repercussions.

Nie Yan hesitated. He knew too little about Edminson to take the risk.

Nie Yan self reflected. One couldn't be rude to any NPC in Conviction. This was the most basic quality of a top-ranked player. Every NPC, no matter how lowly or weak, had the chance of giving you amazing rewards. Many opportunities might be missed simply because you were rude or acted indifferently.

Nie Yan returned to his original spot and continued to wait. At this moment, his state of mind was much calmer than before.

Nie Yan's impatience gradually faded away. He couldn't help but chuckle to himself. Even after returning to the past, he still hadn't fully learned how to wait.

The clock slowly ticked away, 10 minutes, 15 minutes...

Nie Yan was just about to leave and return an hour later, when Edminson drowsily opened his eyes. He stretched out his limbs with a lazy yawn, whereupon he happened to notice Nie Yan and jolted to his feet.

"S-s-sir Nirvana Flame! How can I help you?" Edminson greeted. He was trembling ever so faintly, exposing the nervousness in his heart.

The status between the two of them was far too great. Nie Yan was a Grand Scholar, Devil Slayer, and more. Meanwhile, Edminson was merely the overseer in the Royal Library. He didn't have a noble title. Even an ordinary citizen could bully him.

Edminson didn't dare to show Nie Yan any disrespect.

Seeing this, Nie Yan confirmed Edminson didn't have any status in the Viridian Empire.

"Hello, it's my pleasure to make your acquaintance Language Master Edminson. It's like this. I need your help with a few things," Nie Yan said. Even though Edminson didn't hold a high position, Nie Yan's tone was still fairly polite.

"O-of course! First let me express my deepest apologies. You've been waiting here for quite some time, haven't you? If you require my services, I'll do my best to satisfy," Edminson said. He behaved no different from an ordinary citizen, fearing those with a higher status and choosing his words carefully.

Most players probably wouldn't treat such a timid NPC kindly. However, Nie Yan didn't show any contempt. He gently smiled and said, "Language Master Edminson, I'd like you to help me identify these characters." He rummaged through his bag and pulled out the Record of Seals. It had all sorts of cryptic tadpole-shaped characters written on it.