WAVES

Rain fell upon the world as the sky turned dark. Cumulonimbus clouds swarmed the heavens, weeping like widows and orphans. Through the bad weather, Nijahoeba shivered while he pulled up the sail.

Rain drenched his loose clothes while he pulled the ropes.

"The thunder is coming, you don't want it to find you still struggling with that sail." Odo shouted as he appeared from the hatches.

"Yes sir!!" yelled Nijahoeba while he resumed with his vigorous work.

When he was finally done, he headed for his cabin. Dim lights lit the passage, creating a curved shadow which moved just as he did. Not bothered by the shadows, he reached his cabin.

He walked inside and closed the door behind. He then took off his clothes and changed into his shorts before laying on his small bunk. His compass shone from the small table next to his bed.

The sea rocked the boat back and forth as he stared at the ceiling, his eyelids became heavy as he slowly closed them. He quickly fell into a long dream.

It was a dream of nothingness, the only dreams that he enjoyed. They were better than the others, the haunting and recurring dreams of horrors which he had endure in his former life.

~~

Early, the following morning, the sky was bright blue and sea gulls soured above. A gentle summer breeze blew by, making everyone forget about the storm that had occurred last night.

Nijahoeba was already awake, scrubbing the floor while Odo was in his office, marking possible routes they could take.

They were travellers, merchants who traded fish and oil along the Western part of the world. The sea was their home, where they lived off most of their lives.

The blonde woman stood on the crow's nest, wearing a straw sun hat, a plaid brown A-line skirt with a white button-down blouse. She carried some binoculars on one hand and a book.

"Morning!" Nijahoeba yelled as he stood below the woman, bucket at hand. She seemed not to hear him. He cleared his throat and called out again. "Morning,"

"Morning sailor," she answered while looking through the binoculars, "Beautiful morning isn't?"

"Yes, the beautiful day for fishing." Nijahoeba agreed. Seeing a woman on the crow's nest bothered him, she could easily fall and hurt herself. He surely would not want that.

"Fishing? What good fish is there in this sea?" she asked.

"Silver eels," answered Nijahoeba, his face scrunched in worry for the woman's safety.

"Silver eels?! I thought they caused boils and rashes." She asked in shock.

"I know how to cook them well, you have to boil them first before you cook them." He answered in pride.

She moved the binoculars from her eyes and looked down at him. Her blue eyes looked so much like the sea, they were clear and full of life.

"Do not deceive me sailor," she said in disbelief,

"Please call me Nijahoeba." He insisted. "And I am not deceiving you. I will prepare them for you tonight."

"Make sure you do not poison me," she said before opening the book she carried.

"Yes, ma'am." He said with a smile.

"Arina, please call me Arina." She insisted while writing on her book.

A smile appeared on Nijahoeba's face. "Arina," he whispered.

AUTHOR

- I had to research about pirate ships for this one, ( please correct me if I made a mistake!) By the way, I hope you enjoyed reading. TIA!!!