THE LAND OF SPICES

Sounds of the flute filled the busy streets of merchants who sold fruits, bread, spices, clothing and fine jewelry. Little thieves were busy as well, grabbing anything they could find and running away from the angry men who chased them.

" Welcome to the city of spices! Please feel welcomed," one short and fat man said gladly to the couple before him.

" Pirates you are?"

" No, of course not!" the woman, Arina spoke. " Right my love?"

" Yes of course!" Nijahoeba answered. " You won't fool anyone dressed like that. Come, you need new clothes...to blend!" the man said before leading the way. The couple followed him reluctantly.

" My name is Abel by the way." The man continued as he walked inside one of the buildings. The buildings were narrow with doors facing each other.

" How much do you want for the clothes?" Nijahoeba asked as he looked around the foreign small room.

" For the clothes, six silver pieces and for the room...if you want it...50 Donnians." Abel answered as he shook his hands together.

" He is a scammer." Arina told Nijahoeba. " I knew it."

" Scammer? No my friend. I am a business person. I rent rooms for troubled friends like you!" Abel defended himself.

" I don't trust him." Nijahoeba added.

" Should we trust you Abel?" Arina asked the man.

" Yes! Of course! I am trustworthy my dear friends."

" Very well then..." Nijahoeba said as he handed him 25 Donnians. " You will get the rest tommorow, should you think of anything tonight."

" What?!" Abel cried. " No! This is..."

" You will get all of your money tomorrow if we survive the night. Think of it as a trust exercise." Nijahoeba interrupted. " Unless you want us to find another room."

" No! Of course not. Fine, I will take the 25 for today. I will return for the rest the next morning."

" Thank you Abel!" Arina spoke with a smile.

Abel nodded before walking out of the room, even as he walked away, they could hear him complaining all the way.

They both exchanged looks and smiled childishly. They were not planning on giving Abel the rest of what they owed him. He would have to understand.

**

Even as the sun disappeared, the city did not go to sleep. Music could still be heard playing while fires ignited from the dark. A happy and jolly mood filled the atmosphere, reminding Nijahoeba of Odo. He would have loved the place he knew. They both would be somewhere in a bar, drinking and doing business.

" You haven't slept for days." Arina's voice said from behind as Nijahoeba stared out of the window, into the streets.

" I am not tired." He lied.

She walked towards him.

" I found us some clothes to wear for tomorrow." She said. " We will have to leave before the sun rises."

" I miss my children." Nijahoeba spoke. " I hope they are not bothering Diaz."

Arina smiled shortly. " I miss them too. Diaz is a strong man, he will be alright."

" I guess you are right." He said before turning to face her. " No more killing now Arina, please."

" Yes, of course my love." She answered shamefully, looking down at her feet. " Please forgive me."

" You are forgiven." He answered, cupping her face onto his hand.  " I will always forgive you."
A sad smile appeared on Arina's face.