WHY?

The sun shone brightly from behind the mountains, indicating the beginning of a new day. The cold morning breeze blew by while Nijahoeba, Arina and the refugees packed their belongings before continuing with their journey.

" My name is Grant," the old man introduced himself to Nijahoeba. "I have been one of my village's elders before we decided to leave."

" I see," Nijahoeba said.

" Do you believe in the power of the New God?" Grant asked.

" I don't know. I know that he is real but I doubt he alone can save men."

" Why do you say that?" asked Grant.

" Why haven't he saved you already?" Nijahoeba replied.

" I think the right question is why haven't you saved us?" Grant asked, looking at Nijahoeba.
Nijahoeba's eyes opened wider in shock.

" I heard you and the lady arguing last night. How could she be so cruel?! Kill your people?!"
" I don't know what you are talking about!" argued Nijahoeba.

" You were supposed to be older...I don't understand, how are you so young?"
" I am not the New God." Nijahoeba denied.

Grant stopped walking and suddenly knelt down before Nijahoeba. Everyone stopped their horses and watched in curiosity.

" We are not worthy!" cried Grant.

" What are you doing father?!" asked one woman. " How can you pray to another man?!"
" He is the New God!!" Grant said loudly.

" New God?!" asked the others.

" He is lying!" Arina quickly said. " My husband is not a God!"

" Tell them young man, you are the New God aren't you?" Grant said as he raised his head up to look at Nijahoeba. " Tell them, I am not insane."

Nijahoeba froze, his eyes on Arina. Her blue eyes stared at him in concern. She was waiting, just like everyone else. Waiting for a response.

The sound of the flintlock pistol being fired filled the air as birds flew up into the sky. Blood splattered in the air as blood drops stained Nijahoeba's trousers.

" You murdered my father!! Why?" cried the woman, her eyes on Arina who had her flintlock pistol pointed towards Grant's corpse.

" Arina...?" Nijahoeba slowly said in shock.

" I guess I do have the tainted blood of the Sulton's after all." Arina muttered, strands of blonde hair on her face.

" Arina! What have you done?!" Nijahoeba yelled at her.

" Something I should have done a long time ago." She answered before shooting at two more refugees who tried to attack her. Blood filled the air as they tumbled on the ground.

" Stop! Please!" begged Nijahoeba, seeing his wife mercilessly kill all of the refugees. The smell of gun powder and blood filled Nijahoeba's nostrils. " Why?!"

" You've killed Gods for me, I will kill men for you. I am your army." She answered.
" This isn't right! They were innocent..."

" Nobody is innocent Nijahoeba. I am protecting you from the burden of these people! You and I have to go to Tampah, everything else can wait!" she cried. " You and I promised Bethel and Leonard that we will come back. Don't break the promise for people you do not know."