FIRE

A gentle breeze blew past Arina as she watched the horizon, her mind remembering the events of the fallen night. She had almost killed Nijahoeba.

What disturbed her more was what she saw inside Nijahoeba's soul.

Her face tensed as she raised up her right wrist and stared at the religious bracelets.

"NEVER take them off, not while you are still a believer. Sulli, she is your God now, your serve her and nobody else." Her father had said years ago. It was no secret that Mr. Burdett was a devote follower.

It had been an honor having his daughter wield the power of the Healer.

Unfortunately, it could not be said about his daughter. She had taken Sulli's power for her own reasons, for a cause that had seemed to die when her grandfather was murdered. She would never forget the day he was murdered.

It had been raining when thirteen-year-old Arina and her grandfather had walked down the streets heading home. She had held his hand and a smile filled her face. That was when three men appeared before them.

"Reece," one of the men had called, smoke leaving his lips. "The church has sent us to come and get young Arina."

Reece, her grandfather had reluctantly nodded, handing Arina over to the men. "Take care of her." He had said.

The man had then pulled out a pistol and pointed it at Reece's forehead. "I will," before blowing his brains.

"GRANDPA!" Arina had screamed as two of the men held her.

The man who had shot Reece had then turned to face Arina, his bottle green eyes never leaving her. "So, you are the little believer? You heal people, don't you? Bring them back to life?"

"I will kill you!" she had screamed in tears.

"NOT today though," he had said before blowing her brains with the pistol.

Warm tears ran down Arina's cheeks as she quickly wiped them. The approaching footsteps alerted her as she fixed her face.

"Thank you for bringing me back to life." Nijahoeba's voice said from behind.

"What were you doing in my room in the first place?" she asked, not turning to face him.

He walked towards her. "Sulli, your God, I can still sense her anger." He answered. "She has sworn wrath on you and me."

She turned to face him.

"You have to leave. Staying here will only bring trouble. A believer's place is in the church, next to her God."

"Fake believer!" she corrected him. "My grandfather..."

"You still have the power of your God, that cannot be changed. In the outside world, where Odo and I are going, people like you bring trouble. The other kingdoms will find you as an insult, you cannot enter the city of the other Upper Beings."

Her face immediately dimmed. "Odo and I cannot protect you." He added.

"Very well, I will go." She finally said and walked past him.

"Arina," he called out.

"Yes?"

"Please forgive me," he concluded.