THE BRACELET

Nijahoeba stared at his reflection on the half- broken mirror. His half opened, dark eyes stared back at him. Something dark lingered behind them, something that he had kept a secret for so long. it lived inside of him, a part of him.

He looked exhausted and his small moustache had grown back, making him look like his late father.

He had seen him in the photographs when he was a little boy. His mother would show him the photographs every week.

Just like him, his father had long, black hair and a small moustache.

Nijahoeba put the mirror back inside his drawer and then sat down on his small bunk.

He could hear the  voices of Arina and Odo talking from the other room and decided to go and join them. 

As he entered the cabin in which they were, Odo shouted, "Arina made some tea, please take a seat."

Nijahoeba took a seat slowly, his eyes narrowed in disbelief. For a noble woman, Arina knew how to do alot of things, she had helped during the storm and now she was making tea.   Odo poured some tea into an enamel mug. He then handed it to Nijahoeba who took it.

"Thank you," he then looked at Arina who was busy writing on her book. Strands of blonde hair escaped from the low ponytail, falling over her forehead. Unbothered by the hair, she continued to scribble on her notebook, her blue eyes blank. 

"Arina studied theology and philosophy do you know that lad?" Odo asked, taking a sip on his mug.

"Really?" Nijahoeba asked, his eyes still on Arina.

"Yes, right Arina?" Odo answered, looking at Arina.

"Yes, I did study theology and philosophy." she answered, without looking at them.

"Why would you study such topics? Isn't what the upper beings teach us enough?" Odo asked.

"It isn't enough Odo, the reason I study such topics is to fully comprehend life. I want to know everything about the upper beings. The reason they left their realm, what do they hope to achieve?"

"You will never know everything about the upper beings unless you become one of them." Nijahoeba said flatly. "There are things that you will never be able to comprehend with your head. It is the reason we are not like them, our form does not allow us to see to their extent."

Silence reigned. Arina put the book away and looked up at him curiously. "What is your family name" she finally asked.

"Family name? why are you asking me that?" 

"You seem to have an interesting take on life, who knows , you might be a distant cousin." she answered.

" Distant cousin?" there was amusement in his tone, " I highly doubt it." he then brought the enamel mug over his mouth and took a sip on the tea. 

She smiled shortly before moving the strands of loose hair from her forehead. The bracelets on her wrist moved, hypnotizing Nijahoeba instantly. His dark eyes stared at them blankly, and Arina noticed his stare. 

She removed the wrist from view before clearing her throat. He placed the mug on the wooden table before his eyes darted away from Arina.