WHY HIM?

The smell of gun powder filled the air as Captain Sulton shot at the hand made dummies within the little forest. He shot at every target before pausing to sit down on the long log and opening his bottle of beer.

The image of Nijahoeba appeared in his head as he sighed.

" Sulton?" the teenage boy said as he walked towards him.

" What do you want lad?"

" I umh, I thought I should see you." Answered Leonard as he sat down next to the pirate. " I don't want to be home, with Bethel."

" The lass is your sister! Ye can not change that!"

" I want to go to Bemah." The boy spoke blankly.

" Bemah?! Why would you possibly want to go to a place like that?!"

" I want to further my learning, I want to be a scholar and create a better place for men through language, Geometry and Medicine." Leonard answered.

" Ye mother will not allow you,"

" I know! That is why I am asking you!" Leonard explained.

" I am not your father, lad."

" LEONARD!!" Arina's voice said from behind.

" Mother...I..." Leonard tried to talk.

" Return home at once!" demanded Arina, with a stern face. Leonard looked down at his feet before jumping off the log and walking past his mother, heading back home. Both Sulton and Arina watched him until he disappeared.

" Ye haven't told them have you?" Captain Sulton finally spoke.

" They don't have to know. He is dead, why should I bring more pain to them?"

" ...because he wants to go to Bemah. You and I cannot give him a reason not to." Captain Sulton said.

There was no response from Arina.

" More people are leaving, you and I both know that it is a matter of time before any army from one of the churches finds us."

" Do you think I don't know that?!" snapped Arina.

" We cannot stay here for longer. Should an army come, Bethel and Leonard cannot witness the cruelty."

" There is nowhere to go!" Arina argued. " I will not give up my Independence to any of the Upper Beings!"

" What about Bethel and Leonard? What do they want?"

" They are my children!" argued Arina. " I decide for them! Nijahoeba would have wanted that!"
" Yet he is dead!"

" He died for all of us! Nijahoeba is the reason we are still alive!"

A sigh escaped Sulton's lips. He took a sip on his beer before looking up at the sky.
" Such a good man! I wouldn't have my daughter to marry anyone else."

The words brought comfort to Arina's heart. A sad smile appeared on her face as she also looked at the sky.

" If I let Leonard go to Bemah, will he be safe?"

" Bemah is the biggest city in the world, flourishing with its rich history in languages, Geometry and Art. A young man like Leonard will surely be successful, as long as he has his mother besides him."

" I cannot leave home!" she argued.

" Arina, Forget about the past. This is your time to live again. Do what you have always wanted to do."

" I cannot set foot in that city! My husband's remains are displayed before the masses!"

" You, out of everyone knows what he would have wanted. He wouldn't want you to be unhappy and bitter towards his death. It is time to let go of the past." He said.

" What about you?" she asked him. " Where will you go?"

" The sea is my domain, I will take care of Arina until there is no one left but my men."

" Very well," she whispered before sitting down next to him.