THE NEW WORLD

The dim light shone in the one of the cabins as Arina slowly savoured her dish. Her blue eyes shone beautifully while she swallowed slowly. She was a beautiful woman indeed!

“And?” asked Nijahoeba, his voice nervous.

“It’s delicious,” she answered with a smile. “You would make a great chef,”

Nijahoeba’s cheeks flushed instantly. He could not hide the content that he felt. His dark eyes stared at Arina shyly and his lips curled up.

Arina then pointed at a handmade guitar that was in one of the corners. “What is that?”

“It’s my guitar,” answered Nijahoeba, slightly embarrassed.

Arina quickly rose from the chair and walked towards the guitar. She picked it up curiously and walked back to her seat, her slim fingers feeling the handmade guitar. There was fascination in her blue eyes that twinkled.

“Interesting,” while examining it. She then handed it to him. “Play it,”

“Are you sure?” he asked, his eyebrows rising.

She nodded enthusiastically.

“Very well then,” as he took it from her hands. He sighed deeply before pulling the strings.

Sweet melodies filled the sea as he gracefully played it. Arina carefully listened, her eyes glued to him. As the melodies entered her ears, they ignited certain memories. Memories that were dear to her.

Little Arina stood before the huge beast before her with eight eyes and white skin. The beast stretched out its hand towards her and she slowly touched it, a new energy overwhelming her. Tears ran down her face as everyone inside the temple clapped.

The soft music finally died, leaving silence behind.

“Beautiful,” she slowly said. He smiled gently and then put the guitar on the table.

“I have to sleep now, good night sailor.” She concluded, feeling overwhelmed all of a sudden.  The music had surely awoken something inside of her, something that she did not want to feel.

“Good night Arina,” Nijahoeba whispered as she walked out of the cabin. Her footsteps echoed down the passage until they couldn’t be heard no more.

~~

“When the compass breaks, the promise you made would be broken. They will all come for you Nijahoeba,” the words echoed,  inside Nijahoeba’s head while he lay on his bed and stared at the ceiling.

His mind dug back to buried memories.

Religious bracelets flashed before the silver compass appeared. The white wall, men and women in red robes, the roaring sound of a beast and a woman’s voice praying.

“MOTHER!” He had screamed crazily.