HOPE

Nijahoeba coughed continuously as he held his chest, his eyes focused on the horizon of grey waters.

He heard the approaching footsteps and immediately stopped coughing.

Diaz appeared, carrying a small notebook.

“ Diaz,” he began without even looking at him.“ The other men were just talking about you.”

“ About me?!” asked Diaz in shock.

“ They said that you were an artist.” Answered Nijahoeba.

“ Well yes I am,”

“ Can you draw the horizon for me?” Nijahoeba said as he turned to face the old man. “ Please?”

“ The horizon? If I may ask, why?” asked Diaz.

“ Everytime I stare at it, it gives me hope. It is the first thing that I saw after a long period of darkness.” Nijahoeba answered as memories of his past returned.

After killing his mother and the whole congregation, he had went on a frenzy, running away from the temple and the whole town.

Darkness was all he could see until he fell asleep in the wilderness.

Odo must’ve found him lying in the streets and decided to take him to his boat, the Marietta.

After being asleep for what seemed like forever, his eyes peeled open and the first thing he saw was the horizon.

It was the most beautiful thing he had seen then.

“ Beautiful, isn’t it?” Odo had said from behind as young Nijahoeba turned to face the old man.

“ The horizon, an endless beauty. You will never reach it. That’s why I always chase it.”

“ Why do you chase something that doesn’t end?” Nijahoeba had asked.

“ You’ve been asleep for three days and when you finally wake up, you don’t care where you are but you want to know why a stranger chases the horizon? Weird lad!” laughed Odo.

“ You only stop once you are dead, even then, the horizon continues to be endless…just like hope.” Nijahoeba concluded.