THANK YOU

Sea gulls filled the sky as Captain Sulton stood at the deck, binoculars on his hands.

He observed the sea, watching the birds that flew and looked for any sign of land.

“ Nijahoeba told me about everything you did for him.” Arina’s voice said from behind as he turned to face her.

“ I did nothing, the lad killed the Upper Beings by himself.” He spoke.

“ Not Aqah,”

“ How are you feeling?” Captain Sulton asked, changing the topic.
“ Better.” She said.

Silence then followed. They both refused to speak, their pride getting the better of them.

“ You left your pendant at my room. Here,” she sought courage and said.

“ I didn’t leave it, it’s yours now,” he said.

Her hand trembled as she closed it and put it away.

“ Tell me, why did you help him?” she asked. “ I thought you worshipped Aqah, what changed?”

“ Nijahoeba is a decent person. If I ever have to choose between a decent man and a god, I will always choose a decent man. You don’t get many like him in this world.” He explained.

“ Decent,” she whispered.

“ Yes Arina, Nijahoeba is not like any of us. I know you’ve seen that too. There is so much good in him.”

“ He gives it to us too.” She said with a smile before walking away.

Captain Sulton sighed before turning to face the horizon.

“ Sulton!” Arina’s voice yelled, “ You are a decent man too. Thank you!”

Captain Sulton froze. He could not believe what he had heard!

His forehead wrinkled.

“thank you!”

why did the words bring comfort to his heart?