Chapter 215: A Warm Welcome

Chirp Chirp Chirp

Sweet melodies filled the air as the morning sun climbed the sky. The wind was cool, dancing ever so freely like ballerinas in a ballroom as the leaves applauded with their rustling. It was a wonderful way to wake up in the morningー except, it's not.

To begin with, there wasn't even a soft bed nor a familiar ceiling to be seen. All there was was a platinum figure darting through the blue sky like a free arrow, two figures sitting atop its back as it flapped its magnificent wings, shining like clear water.

"Mmn~! The wind's really nice, isn't it, Grey?" [Yuna]

"It is, but you sure are enjoying your time, aren't you?" [Grey]

"My~ I don't know what you mean~." [Yuna]

Said Yuna as she clung even tighter to Grey. While it was true that the wind was cold, for someone at the peak of S-rank like her, it is only a cool breeze. She was simply taking advantage of the situation to act clingy towards Grey, snuggling close to him.

"Haah... Really, what am I going to do with you..." [Grey]

"Hehehe. It's Grey's fault for spoiling me so much everyday, you know? You ought to take responsibility." [Yuna]

"Yeah, yeah, I know." [Grey]

Grey couldn't even refute Yuna's words as he knew full well it was the truth. Well, not that he regrets any of the times he did. If he had other choices, he would choose to spoil Yuna again. Or rather, he would spoil her even more.

'Haah... I've really become a doting fool, haven't I?' [Grey]

Asking himself such a question, Grey subconsciously patted Yuna's head, making the latter smile like a little kitten being purred. Just like that, they continued soaring in the sky, parting the clouds wherever they went.

It has been a few days since Grey's birthday, and to uphold their promise with the King, Grey and Yuna are now heading towards the city of Gilm, the main city of the Beldon Marquisate, one of the largest territories in the kingdom.

In most of Merusia, countries are divided into many regions, spanning dozens of thousands of square kilometers each. Regions are then further divided into smaller provinces, which themselves extend a few thousand square kilometers. Each of these provinces are then finally occupied by a number of settlements.

When a noble is granted a title, they are also granted provinces which will be their territory. The Landevar territory for example once only consisted of two provinces, but after Fritz was ordained the title of "Count", he was granted two more provinces, thus expanding his territory.

Of course, like nobles, the Gentry can also be granted "Fiefs" by their lords. Knights, for example, are granted a village to govern over along with its surrounding lands. In a way, they could also be called "Minor Lords".

The Beldon territory Grey and Yuna are headed to is comprised of seven provinces. Of which, two are coastline provinces, perfect for the sea viewing Grey wanted to surprise Yuna with for quite some time already.

Of course, Yuna still doesn't know about Grey's plan. The surprise would be pointless otherwise. Grey couldn't help but look forward to how Yuna would react. Just thinking of her excited and smiling face was making butterflies flutter in his heart. A little chuckle soon escaped his mouth.

"Hm? Is something wrong Grey? You were chuckling..." [Yuna]

"Well, I just remembered something funny." [Grey]

"Ehh~? What is it? What is it?" [Yuna]

Eyes full of innocence and curiosity and an inquiring look on her face, Yuna excitedly asked Grey about what he was thinking. Her eyes were sparkling so brightly, that if she was wearing an animal-ear headband, she would surely look like a small animal.