Chapter 230: Life in Torogi (pt. II)

Clop Clop Clop

The sound of footsteps echoed in the air as the leaves rustled and rocks rolled down the mountains. The birds chirped, the rivers trickled, and a handful of animals roamed about, digging roots and grazing on grass. The forest was as peaceful as it could be.

"Waaah!" [Marika]

"Ah! Marika, careful!" [Yuna]

Well, it would have been peaceful if not for the three figures also going about their days, traversing the lush forest and jumping over the flowing river. Things were never quiet with such a lively bunch around.

And just now, as they crossed the bridge over the river, Marika slipped and almost fell towards the waters, a loud scream echoing ever so clearly. Thankfully, Yuna was following close behind her, catching her almost immediately.

"S-Sorry! A-Are you alright, Lady Yuna?" [Grey]

"Marika, you know... I should be the one asking you that... Are you okay? Are your ankles not hurt?" [Yuna]

"Don't worry! It takes a lot more than that to hurt me! I'm more than fine!" [Marika]

Marika replied, a loud declaration resounding in the forest. Even then, Grey and Yuna  couldn't help but worry even more. Especially with such a bright smile plastered on her face. It was one which screamed distrust.

It wasn't just once nor twice. Be it slipping, falling over, tripping, being chased by insects, and many more. Marika has been involved in far too many unfortunate accidents on their trip. It made them wonder whether she was just unlucky or very clumsy. Either way, it was worrying.

"Then, shall we continue?" [Marika]

"Un... Okay..." [Yuna]

Worry still weighing down on their shoulders, the three finally crossed the river, and not stopping a single second, they continued along the path, heading north to cross another mountain. The journey continued.

Where might they be going, one might ask? Simple. The three of them, as part of their tour, and also to participate in trade and purchase some items, are heading towards the nearby village which is also a part of the Chiefdom of Torogi.

As it stands, Torogi is composed of several villages coexisting in the archipelago, scattered across the few large islands. From a population of a hundred or two, all the way to several hundreds, the villages have been coexisting for centuries.

And of these villages, the five largest are ruled over by "Chiefs", with a central figure which they all submit to, the "Great Chief". As for the other, smaller villages, they are simply ruled by elders and the like, paying tribute to the five main villages. A fully-functioning state.

The village the Great Chief, Manelo, rules is the largest of them all, named Balud, while they are heading to is a village by the lakeshore named Lobo, one of the minor, but also busiest villages which is often considered the central point of the Chiefdom.

Rustle Rustle Rustle

A few more minutes elapsed, and after more than half an hour of walking, the lake was finally in sight. Well, not only the lake, but the ever so beautiful village thriving near it was also present, basking in the crystalline radiance reflected by the lake.

There was no time to waste. As soon as it was in sight, everyone quickly descended down the mountains, heading straight to Lobo village. A few more minutes later, their steps finally reached the wonderful lake village.

"Hey! Fresh fish! Fresh fish! Fresh fish for cheap!"

"Ma'am, these are fresh eels we just caught. Would you like to buy some?"