Chapter 282: Gentle Starlight

The night was deep, the winds howling like wolves in the depths of the woods. There was nowhere more peaceful than the forest right beneath the stars, the chirping of the crickets and squeaking of the little critters filling the place with life.

Even when darkness had devoured the world whole, the forest remained beautiful, fireflies of all colors dancing in the air and bright orbs blinking ever so frequently. The cold nightly breeze ran throughout the sea of green once again.

"The forest sure is pretty..." [Yuna]

And in that very forest, a young elf sat down by the roots, her silver hair illuminated by the moonlight as it fluttered in the gentle winds. She gazed far and wide, starlight reflected in her eyes like the rivers and oceans under the night sky.

There was a strange sense of melancholy in the air, the orchestra of the night much gloomier than usual. The young elf didn't say much, simply staring into nothingness, looking up at the sky from time to time, heaving a lengthy sigh all the while.

"Mistress, are you sure you're alright? We are always here for you." [Sirius]

"That's right, Mistress... We're always ready to lend an ear." [Procyon]

"Fufufu! Thank you for worrying about me, everyone, but I'm fine, really... I just need some time to clear my mind..." [Yuna]

She laughed, but there was no hint of joy on her face, rather there was only gloom and loneliness as she answered them. It was a face which was about to cry at any given moment, trying to stay strong in front of others.

And so, the night went on, and the silver-haired elf continued to sit by the giant roots, barely uttering any words and barely moving her eyes as she listened to the sound of the trickling creeks just a couple steps away from her.

She was there, but also not at the same time. The little furballs couldn't help but worry about her, snuggling close to her and trying to cheer her up. Yet despite all their efforts, they couldn't bring her happiness, only a pained smile on her face.

Tap Tap Tap Crack

Just as the night continued to unfold, the sound of footsteps started to echo in the air, the occasional cracking of the branches ringing from time. Soon, a familiar figure was revealed, his black hair resembling the night sky above them.

"Haah... I knew you'd be here." [Grey]

"Fufufu! Looks like you've found me, Grey." [Yuna]

Of course, such a figure was none other than Grey, the very source of the young lady's melancholy and anxiety. Yet despite all that, she couldn't bring herself to hate him. Rather, her heart only throbbed and ached thinking about it.

They weren't even instructed, but as soon as they saw him, the familiars quickly bowed their heads, greeting him politely before disappearing into the shadows, leaving the two alone to talk things out on their own.

The young man didn't need any invitations. He simply approached the pondering elf, soon seating himself beside her and looking up towards the night sky over them. Only silence loomed in the air, a tinge of awkwardness in the mix.

"The night sky sure is beautiful, huh..." [Grey]

"Fufufu! You can say that again... I especially like the stars. They look so small, but also so beautiful, and a little... mystical." [Yuna]

"Hm? Isn't the moon much more beautiful though? I mean, it's reigning over the whole sky and shines ever brighter than the stars. Especially when it's full, I think that's when it's the most beautiful." [Grey]