Chapter 234: Past, Present, and Future

Slowly but surely, the sun had started to descend the sky. The birds, big and small, flew freely in the air, perching on the branches as they watched the farmers till the dirt, only their chirps and chimes to be heard dancing in the air.

The birds flew once again and the excited voices of children running around replaced their sweet melody. Each and every single one had smiles blooming on their faces as they flew their kites and kicked dust all over the place.

Three figures walked down the brown and dirty road, their voices ringing ever so calmly and freely. Though... Their facial expressions couldn't be any different from being calm. They were rather tired, if anything.

"Big Sister Yuna, Big Brother Grey... I'm really sorry about what happened... I'm sure it must have been tiring..." [Marika]

"No, it's alright. How do I say this... We're kind of used to it...?" [Grey]

"Un... Though we can't say it's comfortable at all..." [Yuna]

Of course, those three figures were none other than Grey, Yuna, and Marika who just came from the warrior's training grounds. And needless to say, they had quite the tiring experience there. Not physically, but mentally.

Though the warriors were very respectful and polite, it was just too much, asking Grey and Yuna for every little thing and presenting them with each and every single thing they found. Especially the Great Chief, he was the worst one. It felt like they were some delicate and spoiled noble brats.

Well, if there was anything which could be called a plus, it was that they managed to get free lunch when the servants brought food for the warriors. They were just as tasty as they were yesterday.

"Then, Big Brother Grey, Big Sister Yuna, where are you going now? Are you heading out to the forest again?" [Marika]

"Hmm... I don't know... We haven't really thought that far... What do you think, Marika? Any suggestions?" [Grey]

"Suggestions... Hmm..." [Marika]

To Grey's question, Marika was put deep in thought, cupping her chip with her hands, and as usual, not looking at where she was going. It was the very reason why she trips and falls time and time again. She was just too careless.

"Ahh! Watch out!"

And in a very comical fashion, as soon as she was deep in thought, a wooden stick came flying towards Marika's face. The moment she noticed it, it was already far too late. The stick was already right in front of her.

Marika closed her eyes in reflec, but contrary to her expectations, no pain came to her senses. She opened her eyes, greeted by the stick, frozen in mid airー or so it would seem. But actually, Grey was holding onto it, not budging an inch.

"Phew. That was a close one." [Grey]

It was fortunate that Grey and Yuna were there. Though it seemed very fast in the eyes of others, to them, it was slow as one can be. A single wing of his arm and Grey was able to catch it without much effort.

Seeing the stick almost hit someone, the owner of the stick, the village children, came hurrying over to them with a hurried and guilty expression on their faces. It was obvious that it was an accident, the children not wanting anyone to get hurt.

"Kids! That was dangerous!" [Yuna]

"S-Sorry, Lady Yuna! We didn't mean it!"

"That's right. We used too much strength and it just went flying. Sorry!"

The children hurriedly bowed their heads and apologized to everyone as soon as they could. And in a very motherly fashion, Yuna scolded them with an authoritative voice. After all, if they weren't there, Marika could have been very hurt.