Chapter 224: Troubled Waters (pt. II)

"Captain! The barrier isn't going to last long!"

"Argh! You damned fishes! I won't let you tear our ship apart!"

"Waah! Dammit! We're gonna sink at this rate!"

Chaos, chaos, and even more chaos. No no matter where one looked, all they would see is disorder and turbulence. Be it the noise, the waves, or the ship itself, all were dragged down to pandemonium as the voices of man overlapped one another.

The fishermen were not the only ones in panic. The sea creatures were also in the same fate, running away as far and as fast as they could as if something was chasing them. They didn't regard what was on their way and simply pushed through.

Such chaos unfolded, reflected in the eyes of one man. He was the captain of the ship, yet even with his authority, he couldn't do anything about the situation. He was powerless in front of a stampede where the violent waves bashed their ship and the panicking beasts cruised towards them.

'Dammit... Just where did it go wrong...' [Captain]

The captain thought as he watched the pale faces of his crew be filled with terror and misery. He could still clearly remember the time they headed out into the sea just this morning, not expecting for things to go such a way.

It was a normal day unlike any other. The fishermen all gathered in the port and prepared the ship to fish. With the new trade routes opened, Lista was given more opportunities to earn money and make connections. Everyone was excited.

"Captain, we're done loading everything."

"Good. We'll depart in a couple minutes. Make sure everyone's present." [Captain]

"Yes!"

A couple minutes, and just like that, the ship departed just like how they usually do. Several minutes later and they finally arrived at their usual fishing spot, hurriedly and excitedly casting the nets and bait in hopes to catch a lot of fishes for their living.

But a few minutes passed, but only a couple fishes showed up. Though it was better than nothing, it was an amount which could barely fill a barrel full. Everyone's faces frowned at such a sorry sight.

"Everyone, don't be too down. Let's just head to another spot. I'm sure the fishes here are depleted. They might be gathering elsewhere." [Captain]

"Y-Yeah! That's right! That must be it!"

"Amazing! Captain, you're a genius!"

The Captain's words quickly cheered up everyone and soon, they arrived at another spot. Unfortunately for them, there were still barely any catches. Try and try as they might but the results were the same. Every spot they went to was barren.

It was as if the fishes were suddenly all gone. Though he had experienced unlucky moments throughout the couple decades of fishing in his life, it was never so bad before. Throughout the whole morning, they only got a few barrels. If things continue, they would suffer a loss rather than profit.

The only reason the Captain could think of was because of the sudden increase in beasts, but it could also be because they were just unlucky. The captain was confused, unsure what to do.

"Haah... Sorry, everyone. How about we try another spot? I'm sure they'll be gathering further south." [Captain]

The captain suggested with a smile on his face, but unlike before, no cheerful smiles were returned back to him. Everyone was frowning, downcast and depressed. Even though they knew it was just a bad day, they couldn't help but feel upset.

"C... Captain... How about we head westー"

"Are you crazy?! That's dangerous!" [Captain]

The man couldn't even finish his words, when the Captain suddenly snapped back at him. After all, it was common knowledge for everyone that going further west and the beasts would appear more often. It was only a foolish and dangerous suggestion.