Chapter 281: Missed Chances

Chirp Chirp Chirp

The trees stood proud and mighty in the vast sea of green, leaves rustling as gust ran past them and the chirping of the birds sang along with it. Squirrels hopped on the branches and rabbits ran around the forest floor, life peaceful as one can be.

It wasn't just the viridescent forest. The rivers running through them were clean and beautiful, ripples, big and small, popping in and out from time to time. The waters sparkled like a treasure trove of diamonds as the sun slowly climbed down the horizon.

"Haah... There's nothing here either..." [Grey]

And atop that very forest, a platinum figure soared with pride, leaving streaks of white as it bolted throughout the vast blue sky. A black-haired young man sat atop his back, eyes closed as he carefully listened about the whistling winds, soon sighing openly.

Of course, that figure was none other than Grey who has been searching day and night throughout the continent, relying on his abilities and on Polaris' terrifying speed to explore hundreds upon hundreds of kilometers over the past few days.

Even then, he just couldn't find the last item to complete the set of nine. Moreover, it was the one which he thinks holds the most meaning out of all of them. He had been searching far and wide, but he couldn't find even a single one.

"Master, aren't you going to rest? You haven't slept since yesterday," [Polaris]

"Thanks for worrying, Polaris, but I'm really alright. Tomorrow's the big day. I can't have myself giving up now, can I?" [Grey]

"But Master, you know how worried the Mistress will be if she hears about this. She would most likely throw another tantrum like before." [Polaris]

"Yeah, you're probably right... We'll just have to not tell her then." [Grey]

Polaris tried to warn Grey, but the latter was adamant on his decision, not wanting to back down even a single bit. He had already spent so much time searching for the items, it would only be foolish to start giving up now.

To top it all off, Grey had also almost finished the bouquet made out of the nine items which were in the legend. They were supposed to be given as they are, but he found it more sincere if he were to make it something a little more special. Now, only one more item and it would be complete.

Well, he's a Calamity-Class Ranker anyway. A day or two without rest is nothing much on his body. In fact, he could even go on for a couple weeks without food nor rest if he ever wanted to. Giving up is the last thing he'll do.

"Understood, Master. I will make sure the Mistress does not know of this. However, that is all that I can promise you." [Polaris]

"No, that's more than enough. Thanks, Polaris." [Grey]

And so, as the sun continued to sink down the horizon, Grey and Polaris continued to soar throughout the skies, covering massive areas and scanning them thoroughly with Grey's eyes, making sure not to miss a single thing.

Even then, the search was bitter. They have been flying since morning yet they have still yet to find a trace of what they were looking for. The sun is almost setting, and Grey is almost starting to lose hope, when out of nowhere...

"Wait! Polaris! Go down! Go down!" [Grey]

A sharp glint gleamed at the corner of Grey's eyes. It was small and subtle, but it was unmistakably a similar glow to what they were looking for. His heart started to thump madly as he chased after such a trace of ambiguity.

Polaris immediately stooped at Grey's command, bolting like a lightning bolt as he descended down from the skies, and when he was low enough, Grey quickly jumped down from his back, using wind magic to land ever so softly.