#47 Your child's first date

Liam: "You're growing up way too fast," Liam said quietly, as your daughter showed off the outfit she was wearing to go on her very first date. She was so excited, and could not stop spinning in it. She looked so mature suddenly, and her 16 years seemed to be so much more. "Do you think it looks good? Do you think he'll like it?" "He will," you nodded, "Or he's stupid." Liam wanted to respond as well, joke about something to calm her down, but just didn't know what to say. This was his little girl, going on her first date. His only child growing up. It was so hard on him. It was hard for you as well, but you were happy for her. You were happy to see the nervous smile she was wearing, as she waited for her date. She was so nervous that things would not go the way she planned, that she was shaking. "Dad, if I come home crying, promise me you'll play me that song I love." Liam smiled softly, hoping that did not happen, but glad he would be the one she wanted to cheer her up. "I promise." Her face lit up in an instant, as she saw a car driving into your driveway, "He's here!"

Harry: "You treat her nicely no matter what. Even if you decide halfway through the date you want to be anywhere but there, don't be rude to her. And listen to her as well, no matter what. Okay?" You didn't know what you were supposed to say to your son before his first date, but all of this felt right. "I know Mum," he nodded, "I know how to treat someone nicely. You and Dad have both taught me that." You knew that, and knew he would be an amazing boyfriend to whoever he did date, but you were just so nervous. Harry, standing next to you, was as well. "We know, but we just want to make sure you remember that tonight. From what you've told us about her, she seems really amazing." You felt so much joy, as your son's face lit up, right when he began to talk about his date. He was so happy about it, and that made you happy. "She's so perfect. She's the nicest person I know, and so smart. She's smarter than any of the kids in school, even the seniors. She's so pretty also, even if none of my friends think so. To me she is. And I really like her, and I'm really glad she said yes to tonight." You stared at your little boy, who still looked like a baby in your eyes, and smiled, "I'm glad too. I'm so glad you're so happy about this."

Niall: "No way! There's no way you're going on a date! How?! Who?! Do I know him?!" Your daughter wore a smile, as she asked her twin brother question and question, "Did you ask?! Really?! How did you get a date before me?!" You had no idea that your son had a date, and felt curious yourself, "So you have a date?" He nodded his head, and a bright smile lit up his face. "I was telling Dad earlier, and she overheard." Your daughter crossed her arms, "I should have been told first anyway." "I knew you'd be mad. You've been trying to get that guy you like to ask you out forever." "Not forever," she responded, "And he's just... He hasn't noticed me yet, but he will." You sighed, and knew you'd talk to her later about that, but right now was about your son; your little boy who was growing up way to fast. "So when is this date?" "Saturday. Dad said Saturday was a good date day. I think we're going to a movie, I don't know yet." You smiled so much, while your daughter did as well. She may have been jealous slightly, but she was happy for her twin. "I hope you have a good time, and maybe one day we'll double date. You know, once he knows I'm alive."

Louis: "He's my best friend, and I know this will be amazing," your daughter told both you and Louis, when you told her you were worried she would get hurt. She was so sensitive, and so young still. You both worried her going on a date was a bad idea, but did not want to tell her she could not. You knew she'd want to even more if you did that. So you supported her, but told her your concerns. "I know how close you two are, and I know you think that," Louis responded to her carefully, "But you're very, very young. At your age, the odds are low that this will work. Do you want to risk that? As you said, he's your best friend." Your daughter's face told you that she was really considering Louis' words, before nodding, "I really like him, and I want to go tonight. You said I could." You nodded, "We did, and you can." She smiled so happily, "I have to go get ready then. He said he'd be here in an hour." You grabbed Louis' hand, before he could reply, and quickly did yourself, "Your father and I are really happy for you, and I hope tonight goes the way you want." 

Zayn: "She won't show up," your son said confidently, as he looked out the window for a third time, "It was all a joke. I should have known better. Why would she say yes to me. She's not coming. Her parents were supposed to drop her off 10 minutes ago." "Maybe they got stuck in traffic," you sighed, hoping you were right. Seeing the happiness your son had felt over his date slowly disappearing, was hurting you just as badly. The worst thing was to see your child in pain. "Yeah, your mum might be right," Zayn agreed, though he was worrying as well. This was horrible, if it was happening. He had no idea what to say to make anything better. "Or maybe no one would ever really want to go out with me," your son replied, so much sadness in his words, "They'll all laugh at me now. She probably told everyone, and they all..." Your son was in the middle of his sentence, when the sound of a car horn cut him off. He looked out the window again, you did as well, and relief rushed through you. "She's here!" Your son rushed to the door, as Zayn looked at you, and mouthed, "I was getting so worried." You nodded, "Me too."