#87 Just Friends

Niall: Maybe one day you would be more. You never put that thought completely out of your mind. For now though, being just friends with Niall was all you needed or wanted. He was always there for you, and it was just nice to have him around. He felt the same way. He wouldn't say there was no attraction between you, but for now, that wasn't important. Years from now, maybe it would change, and he'd never tell anyone that it was never going to happen, but it wasn't soon. "So you like him then?" Your best friend asked, after you tried to explain that to her. "I don't know. Not really. I mean, I could see myself happy with him, but I dont know. I also wouldn't be jealous if he ended up with someone else? We are just friends for now, and maybe we always will be. I'm really happy to have him as my friend, and I don't need more."

Louis"You're jealous!" That was the first thing everyone assumed when you told them that you disliked Louis' new girlfriend. The moment you mentioned it, that is all anyone thought. It wasn't true though. You just saw the awful way she was treating Louis, and no one else did. "I just want him to be with someone good for him. That doesn't make me jealous, it makes me a good friend. " "You are so jealous of her. Just admit it." "I'm really, really not," you stressed, but no one believed you. It didn't matter though, you knew your true feelings. You were just concerned for your best friend, whom you didn't love; at least, not in the way. "I'm just going to tell him the truth. He deserves to know she's using him." "You can tell him that, and also that you're in love with him. " "I'm not!" Your friend rolled her eyes, "Whatever you say."

Zayn: All your other friends thought you and Zayn were meant to be together. They all told you repeatedly how blind you both were. They did not understand at all why neither of you wanted to be together, when you so clearly were perfect for each other. Neither of you wanted that at all though. The thought of ruining what you had, to try and date, it never seemed worth it to either of you. "[Y/N] and I are just friends," Zayn replied, yet again, after a friend asked both of you when he was ever going to ask you out, "I love her, but not like that." You smiled at your other friend kindly, despite your annoyance over her question, "Yeah, seriously, you all have to stop asking us that. We're friends, and that's it. Sometimes that's enough."

Liam: Dating had crossed your mind before. Once or twice during your friendship with Liam, you wondered if maybe you could be something more. It wasn't an insane thought. You were so close, and he was of course attractive to you, but you just didn't see it. Even if all your other friends thought you should, you knew the answer was no. You couldn't help but ask Liam what he thought about it though. "Do you think we'll ever date, like everyone says?" You asked him that, as the two of you were eating lunch together. "Um, no?" He was confused by your question. He thought you both already knew how you felt about dating. "I don't think so either, I was just wondering. Everyone always says it, but it feels so wrong to me to even think that. Like you're my friend, and that's it." He nodded. "Yeah, I don't see anything more than that."

Harry: The words 'just friends' seem to make people automatically assume there will be more later. It's as if it's a step towards dating, and away from friends. Saying freind is one thing, saying just friends is another. When you said it though, about Harry, you meant it. He was just your friend, and nothing more. There was not a single part of you that ever thought maybe you'd falll for him. He was just Harry, your best friend, and that was it. "When I say just friends, I mean it," you told another friend, after being asked once more about you and Harry. "You don't. How can you? Have you seen him?" You sighed, "Yes, I have seen him, and I know what everyone else sees. Of course he's cute, but i just.... I just don't see that between us. Harrry's my best friend, and that's it. Trust me when I saw with Harry, that's all I ever want."