Chapter 34

Buck begins pt 2

I honestly thought I was gonna call out because of the body sores, I'm strong but not invincible

I honestly thought I was gonna call out because of the body sores, I'm strong but not invincible. After all most of Buck's weight was on top of me, but it was starting to get hot sometimes so short sleeves were kinda mandatory if I didn't want to pass out from the heat. I tried my best to cover up my wrist with a heavy foundation and drowned it with waterproof setting spray, who knew color correcting was so hard, I have big respect for people who do this for a living. I go to work already changed so I wouldn't have to dress in front of everyone and barely say a word to anyone.

I did not feel like coming, being social was the last thing on my radar. Especially smiling, but couldn't forget what happened last night, it was drilled inside my head, and I desperately tried to not think about it.

"Hey." I had no awareness that Eddie was right behind me until he tapped on my shoulder. "You okay Artemis?" I finally realized that he was talking to me, I didn't turn to face him, I just nodded. I close my locker and finally face him. "Yeah." He was surprised that I didn't even give him a snarky response or even look him in the eyes for longer than five seconds. I walk out of the room and sit on the couch in the station, put my headphones in, and read. I sat there until I looked over and see Buck telling us to go sit at the table, the first time I ignored it was too fucking lazy to get up. "That means you too, Cruz unless you want me to carry you."

"Huh, you wish." I get up as slowly as I can to make my way to the table and rest my head in my arms. They look at me concerned, "Go ahead, I'm listening" he begins to talk and I try not to drift off into sleep. He begins to tell us about his childhood, it made me wonder why he was telling us this.

The conversation wasn't sad or anything, it was more heartfelt if anything, "It's a miracle that you even survived childhood." Buck had explained to us that when he was a kid he did a bunch of stupid things, even fell off a tree and broke his arm. "They never wanted another kid, they just me for parts, defective parts, as it turned out."

"Hey, that's not your fault," Eddie says with a slight smile. "I doubt they would agree." Buck looks better than how he was doing, probably the reason why he got drunk. Hen passes me a cup of coffee, "you need this a lot more than I do." I chugged it down in one sitting and her eyes went wide. "Thanks, I really needed that," I whispered to her.

"Have you talked to them about it?" Bobby asked. "What am I gonna say? Hey, I'm really sorry about your dead son, can we just talk about me for a minute?" We looked at one another and you could see the relief on Chim's face when Buck said, so that was his secret.

"Can I talk to you in private?" Buck at this point was fed up with all the lies and couldn't believe his friend did that too, that same buck from yesterday was coming back. "No need, come on, they all heard the story."