Chapter 59

"118 is on the move, how we doing 147?" I was the new eddie, they had me being hen and the new guy's assistant and had me help Buck do the things no one else wanted to do

"118 is on the move, how we doing 147?" I was the new eddie, they had me being hen and the new guy's assistant and had me help Buck do the things no one else wanted to do. "Donato, headed out to meet you now." I heard on the radio, I climbed up with Buck on the engine with a helmet and a harness. "Okay, I'm just working out how to do this." Buck said. Another firefighter jumped onto the truck which surprised me, "I guess like that." Then buckled jumped right after her. "Evan Buckley, nice job."

"Lucy Donato, I give yours a seven." She joked around with him, I rolled my eyes. "Alright let's move into position two, Artemis, Duncan, youre top side. Alright, Artemis, extend the ladder." I tuck back the piece of hair that was in my face, I ran out of hairspray, "ladders on the move, cap." I push the Button and the ladder extends, buck starts to pull out the two kids one by one and hands them to me. "You're doing great." I helped the boy onto the ladder with all my force. Then I soon hear Eddie on the radio from the dispatch. Me and buck look at each other quickly and then go back to helping the kids, the driver has to be careful to not take his foot off the gas petal because of a pressure switch.

"Uh, problem with that plan, we don't have a lot of freeway left." I say in the radio. "Dad, for now, you stay in the truck, mom and everyone else off, we keep you moving. I'll have two of my guys defuse it in motion." Athena and another cop tell the the parents the next steps, we're switching seats. "I put my foot on the gas pedal first and you slide underneath me. I stay you go. They boys have their dad, okay?" The woman argues with her husband. "Are you crazy?" He says to her. "We both die, your parents take them. Your mother may be horrible to me but she adores those children. The version I can't live with is you gone and me hearing your mother teaching them to hate me because I let you die."

"Ma'am it may not be my place but we're a little short on time." Athena explains her experience of awful mother in laws, starting with her own mom. Saying how much her mom despised Bobby and now she accepted him, "come on! we gotta go!" Buck yelled. "Now ma'am, please get out of the truck." Firefighter Donato helped the woman out and I managed to to pull the woman up on the ladder and passed her off to Duncan. "Donato, Buck, evacuate now!" I then pulled up the man then Donato but I noticed the rope about to snap. "Buck, hurry!" he jumps and I catch his hand, "I got you." I pulled him up with a smile on his face and the rope snaps. "That was close."

"You think so? Huh Buckley?" All units fell back and the car crashed against water. "So there was no bomb?" Buck asks, Soon there was an explosion right after that. "Nope." Donato answers his question.
_________________________________

After work we ended up going to a bar, even the 147 tagged along. It was being played on the news about the call we just finished. "... the family of four is safe tonight, thanks to a truly daring rescue. Just incredible how three of LAFD's finest pulled this off." Everyone started cheering, meanwhile I was tired as hell, my arms were so sore, filling in for Eddie is so painful. "Man, that's the second time they it this hour, we're like the best action show on TV." Lucy enthusiastically said.

"We're gonna do wonders for their ratings." Buck added as they clinked their drinks, "ratings, that is something only a LA firefighter would care about." I say. "What'd they care about in Mexico, huh Ari- parties? I hear you guys sure throw some real ragers." Buck was definitely feeling snarky, I couldn't believe he just said that. "Yes, of course but we also cared about soccer." I take a sip of my coke and Lucy directs her attention to me. "Wait so you were a firefighter in Mexico? Oh wow." She seemed real interested. "Nope, I only became a firefighter  here LA." I nod my head. "I thank god I'm an LA native, I can't imagine doing what we do everyday in warm temperatures." Everyone agrees with her, "a little vitamin D never hurt anyone." I slumped back in my seat, I was only really there because buck forced to me to be there.

1 hour and 30 minutes later...

"All right guys, tell you what, I'm calling it. Listen, seriously, you guys did great work out there. The three of you- even though you did disobey an order, Lucy." Bobby gets up from his chair, "oh come... I was passing the gas pedal and the steering wheel on my way out." It was silent after Bobby walked away, "hey cap, before you do, can we talk about Monday real quick?" She walks after him, "I'm out too, cmon buck, your drunk and you clearly not drive." I tap his shoulder as I get up, "I don't wanna leave." I roll my eyes, "your gonna complain the next day, don't say I didn't warn you."

"The night is still young, buck and I could share a ride later." I was definitely questioning her intentions, "it's okay, buck has had-" he quickly stops me from talking. "I'll be fine Ari." He grabs my hand and I snatch it out of his grasp, she even noticed it too. "Fine." As I was about to leave Lucy stops me. "good night Artemis, it was great meeting you." I sensed no sarcasm in her voice, she was being genuine, "yeah... you too." I'm starting to think I shouldn't have left him by himself with her, I have a bad feeling about this.

Lucy and buck were playing Pool while still drinking. "Uh, you know, I'm- I'm the other way, I wouldn't do that to you. I could take an Uber, I may be able to drive but I can handle myself." She laughed, "you don't even know where I live." Buck started getting nervous, "um, what- what I'm saying is if we.... If we were to share, which you know we shouldn't..." she rolls her eyes, "relax Buckley, I just like watching you squirm." Then Artemis pops into his mind, that's something she would say. "Uh, I- I'm not squirming." Lucy began started getting close to buck but he couldn't move at all, the alcohol was fucking with his head. "You sure about that?"

She ran her manicured down his chest, Lucy then leaned into bucks lips and kissed him. Buck didn't back away, but instead went back in for a second kiss. Artemis was far away from his mind at the time, he cupped Lucy's cheek like he would do to Artemis's check, drunk words are a sober thoughts right?
_________________________________

"Uh, who-who should I have him drop off first?" Buck was now definitely wasted. "I ordered the Uber Buck." Hen tells him while laughing, "uhh she kept ordering drinks." Hen shake her head in disappointment, "so you kissed her?" Buck immediately denies it, "uhh she kissed me and I said no, I said I have a girlfriend and I ran away." He waves his finger dramatically, "oh, okay, so no harm, no foul?" She questions him, "no harm, no foul." He repeats her words, "it was just a misunderstanding and you never meant for it to happen."

"No.... Okay, I- I may have kissed her back." He was sitter and was blanking out a lot, "Buck!" She sighs, "I know, I know, what's do I do now? I- Ive got to tell Artemis, right?" She nods her head, "yes, you have to be honest, she's gonna be so crushed.... Wait, no, don't tell her. It'll only make her upset for no reason, she will kill you with her bare hands." Buck starts to panic and his eyes get teary, "right, don't want to do that."

"Unless you're gonna kiss Lucy again." Hen didn't know what had taken over bucks body, it wasn't him. She knew for sure that this wasn't going to end well, "I didn't plan on kissing her the first time, you know, it just happened." The Buckley boy couldn't believe what he had done, he knew Artemis would never forgive him. "Tell Artemis, buck, you're a terrible liar and she's gonna figure it out anyway." Hen told him the truth, she also didn't want to betray Artemis who she had grown close too. The only two girls on the 118, "okay, you're making me nauseous and I'm gonna need you to pick a side." He tells her, he started becoming pale, "honestly, honesty is the best policy. Also it's the easiest to remember."