Chapter 89

The vibrate of my phone kept bothering until I decided to finally open eyes

The vibrate of my phone kept bothering until I decided to finally open eyes. "Why are you calling so early? It's 6am." I whined while rubbing my eyes. "Did you get the call?" Buck asked. "For what?" I got up immediately, "special deployment-" I start getting a phone call from someone else. I picked it up and I wasn't honestly paying attention to what was being told to me, I was more asleep than awake. I get changed quickly and continued talking to buck. "I just got the call now, what's happening in Texas?" He started telling about the wildfires and I get to the firehouse fast. Everyone was roaming all over the place, it was me, hen, Eddie, and buck that was on special deployment.

"I've been the list for special deployment ever since I joined the department. Never got a call before today." Buck tells us, "I've been on special deployment a few times, New York, Maryland, Washington D.C. mostly as an excuse to get away from the 136."
I was mostly concerned about being the engine for so long. "Okay, we are ready to roll." Hen immediately stops Eddie from getting into the engine just yet. "Oh no, I know how you guys are. Everybody, make sure you use the bathroom before we go. I don't care if you think you need to or not. We have a 20 hour drive, and we're gonna make it a good one." We got into the engine and i rolled the windows down to get some air in. I put my headphones in while staring out the window, the breeze hitting my face was so calming. "So we all didn't eat before getting in this truck right?" They all shook their heads, "the first food stop is on me."

"I'm surprised you even decided to go." Hen says, "a little extra money wouldn't hurt besides Texas is basically an Americanized version of Mexico. I'll take what I can get, this is also the closest I get to being away from my brothers." They laughed, the drive was kinda boring, had to made a quick stop because Eddie got car sick, I was going down that road too. I noticed when buck talks a lot it makes Eddie and I nauseous. Buck was knocked out against the window until I woke him up. "Buck. Wake up we're here." He grunts, he even drooled on the window. "Oh we are?" He opens the door and we hop out of the engine. "Ooh! What's up with the air?" He asks.

The sun was hitting us in the eyes, "the wildfire, remember? That's why we're here." Hen told him. "I mean the way it feels, like getting slapped with a wet towel." He complained, "it's called humidity, welcome to Texas, buck." Now this seriously feels like Mexico all over again the heat fucking up with my hair, what is wrong with me? I've become a city girl. "I'm deputy chief De Leon of San Angelo fire department acting incident commander. For those of you just joining the party, welcome. I want to introduce my operations section chief captain Owen strand out of Austin." We were all lined up against trees while we were given introductions. "The thing we were praying wouldn't happened has happened. The wind had shifted, the fires now on collision course with the city of San Angelo. There's a possibility of weather coming in but we can't rely on it and we won't. We have one last shot to turn the tide. Here." Captain strand points at a map.

"Here, copper ridge. We cut a containment line here and we can stop this beast in its tracks. I know you're exhausted, a lot of you haven't had more than a couple of hours of sleep in days. On behalf of the city of San Angelo and their 120,000 souls,we're gonna get you up on that fire line and you're gonna cut like hell. Good luck, stay safe." Now that is one hell of a Pep talk. I was talking to hen while I was eavesdropping, they were talking about a group of kids trapped past the fire line. They were looking for a team of 8 and at least 1 medic, they didn't have many to spare, so I decided to step up. "I'm a medic, Artemis Cruz with the 118, Los Angeles."