Chapter 86

Nightshift had finally started I was glad to get of my house and go back to doing what I'm good at

Nightshift had finally started I was glad to get of my house and go back to doing what I'm good at. "So how'd it go?" Eddie asked, chim, buck and I. "I'll let you guys answer that." I stared out the window. "It was interesting alright, welcome to the family, Artemis." Chim jokingly said. "Oh shut up. Damn it's still pouring pretty hard out of there, this is gonna suck." I sigh, "it's weird but it-it kinda ended up being really nice night. Despite that argument everything went pretty well." Buck says. "Yeah, I'm surprised your dad apologized, Artemis." I snapped my head at him. "Don't call him that, trust me if he legally disowned me I'd be at peace for the rest of my life. I guess he was okay tonight."

"So maybe you've all made some progress there? That's good, life is too short to take those relationships for granted." We all looked at Bobby weirded out, he kept a straight face the entire time. "Sounds like your family had your back on the whole donation thing, that's definitely progress." Eddie said. "Well, uh.. they totally thought that was an idiotic decision, they just weren't gonna have Alejandro have the last word on anything." Buck and I were so over the situation with our parents, the argument was stupid but also mostly Alejandro's fault. "chim, I know you don't want to hear this-" chimney cuts hen off before she could finish speaking. "You think that I need to work things out with my old man." He scoffed, yeah that wasn't gonna happen.

"I think you need to talk to him." Chimney was definitely opposed to the idea. "What's the difference? There is literally nothing he can say to make amends for a lifetime of absence." He shook his head, "this isn't about what he has to say, it's about what you need to say. He hurt you chim, repeatedly. You tend to gloss over it with these pithy one-liners." The rest of were quiet to see how this all plays out. "Hey, I love my pithy one-liners." He said in a sad tone. "But I know that pain and how it deeply it runs." Chim agrees with her. "One of the many things we have in common, crappy fathers." Amen to that, why do fathers have to be so shitty? "I don't know if my father ever really understood how much his leaving hurt me and I never had the chance to tell him but I always wondered if it would've made a difference. That maybe if I had.. shown him my pain then it would let me release it."

"I'd be opening up a really old wound, hen. Sometimes those things don't stitch back together so well." I couldn't help myself this time, "or they never close back again, I've met your father chim. Seems to me that he's more reasonable than mine, there's still time but unfortunately my time is out." The rain was so heavy no one could barely see the road. Although it wasn't enough to put out a fire. "Okay, Hendrix, meyers, Perez! Start evacuating the building! Artemis, buck, Eddie, you guys are on ladder duty. I want you to get up to that window and hit it, let's go!" Eddie works the ladder and extends it. "Hey where do think your going? I got this buck." I told him angrily. "No way, you got the last one."

"Didn't realize you were keeping track." I throw up my arms, I was annoyed. "Come on, Ari, it's me. I'm always keep track." Eddie hooks him and tells me he's all set. "All right cowboy, go get 'em." Buck starts to go up the ladder while I stayed back with Eddie. Once he was at the top he turns on the hose, We all start to hear electrical buzzing. "The hell is that?" Buck says to himself. Eddie and I look up at the sky and see a lightning bolt coming starting for the fuse box. We didn't have enough time to move so the minor explosion causes us to go flying off the engine. Eddie and I slowly get up in pain and put on our helmets. I got up first and started to climb up the engine. my heart broke immediately, I saw buck dangling from the rope, unconsciously. "Buck!" I quickly ran up the ladder with working on the ladder. "Buck!" I kept yelling to the point where my throat was aching.