Chapter 74

"Dispatch said a tree fell on a victim?" Hen asked the park ranger, I loved the summer it was warm and beautiful outside but this situation was definitely hectic

"Dispatch said a tree fell on a victim?" Hen asked the park ranger, I loved the summer it was warm and beautiful outside but this situation was definitely hectic. "Yeah but probably not how you're imagining. He was standing underneath a root ball of a fallen tree when it snapped back up on top of him." I furrow my eyebrows, it was interesting how something like that could happen. "Sometimes after storms or if other debris pinning the downed tree falls away, the tension from the root system still underground can pull it back up."

"Like a mighty okay slingshot." Eddie says, "yeah, one that weights several tons." Buck adds, we saw a woman trying to dig through the dirt to get the man out but clearly she didn't even make a dent in that soil. "Hurry! I can hear him moaning under there." She calls over and we hear muffling sounds from underground. "Eddie, chimney, start digging across holes on the side. Dispatch this is captain 118, we've got a victim with multiple crush wounds. We're gonna need an air ambulance at the nearest clearing to our GPS coordinates. Artemis, grab a chainsaw to separate the tree from these roots."

I grab the rope and swing it over the tree branch, "Buck, on me. I need an anchor point and a hinge so we can expose that root ball." I never thought I'd say that again but I did see the smirk on his face. "Anchor point secure, okay! Pulleys are secure." I wait for hear to give us our next instructions. "Okay, shouldn't take much to pull it down now. Everyone in position to pull." I use the chainsaw to cut through the roots one by one then let go to pull the rope. "One, two, three!" We all yell in unison and pull as hard as we can to lift the tree. "Already let's get him on the board, hes got massive interal bleeding." Chim says.

We get on the board and I get him on the lifepak while chim starts compressions, "All right, prepared to shock, clear!" I shock him and there's is no response, I had to try again, I shock him once more and he has a pulse again. I exhale in relief while they get him strapped to the air ambulance. We caught the park ranger trying to flirt with the victims sister, "are you seriously asking me out after my brother almost died?" That sure took a turn.
_________________________________

I wanted nothing more than the scars on my inner thighs to disappear, there have been a few times where buck and I wanted to have some fun but there's no way I'd let him see my legs. It was the night shift, it was calm but weird, "he's been lying, straight to my face. I mean he used to lie about little things like not brushing his teeth before going to bed or did he put the empty milk carton into the fridge. But not like this." I was reading like usual while hen and chim were playing card games. "Well, in his defense, science club does sound kinda boring, I'd skip too."

"Joining was his idea.", I take my eyes off my book to look at Eddie, "probably knew it would make a great cover, smart kid. What I did in high school was just get my attendance then walk out of school, security didn't give a shit. So wait if he wasn't going to science club then where was he?" My eyes go wide at the his response, "at the park with his friends apparently, which I really don't understand because he knows that I'd take him there anytime he wants." Hen and I look at each other. "Maybe that's the problem." Hen says, Eddie looked confused.