Chapter 79

1 week later

1 week later.....

"I'm a washout, might as well accept it. Can't be a firefighter if you're afraid of heights." Novak dropped the firefighter academy after the panic attack he had going down the rope. "That doesn't mean you can't help people, doesn't even mean you can't save lives. If I had a chance to review your performance I wouldn't have recommended you for advancement, however you have the passion to help people, only a fool would miss that. You are also the only person to be the kobayashi Maru... the baby drill. You held yourself together under intense pressure even when I was screaming in your ear."

"I found a rubber doll, big whoop." I tried to be encouraging towards him. "No, you made a difference, doesn't matter how small, it means something." I give him a piece of paper with sue's number. "Whats this?" He asks. "I know someone at dispatch, and believe me, they can use someone who's cool under pressure and doesn't mind someone ranting in their ear." He nods his head. "Thank you, I'll call." We shake hands. "You're not a washout, Novak." I turn around and see Ravi behind me.

"Cap was right, good at this whole empathy thing, you just don't show it and you're a natural leader. The first day you were here, you noticed he had a fear of heights, so you tested him." I nodded me head. "It was pretty obvious and I'm not exactly done yet, peer instructer panikkar." He smiled at me, "what am I being tested now?" I laugh at his question. "More like a performance review, you put Ledbetter on that backboard almost singlehandly, so much for not being g handle heavy equipment. You're hiding out here, Ravi, whatever it is, drop it. You can get back out there again, we need you back, and if you tell anyone I said I will kick your ass." He laughs, I get in my car with Ravi and chim and drive to the station.

"Hey! Look who we found!" Everyone was excited to see Ravi, "hey, Ravi's back." Eddie yells as everyone jogged towards us, they all held him in a tight embrace. Buck even managed to pick him up in that hug, then I realized something. I walked up to Bobby to confront him. "You sent me to the academy to bring back Ravi?" I asked Bobby, "hey, you two are great teachers and it was an opportunity for you to be empathetic and give him a little push to come back. You're a great leader than you give yourself credit for, you led, you followed."

"I can't even be mad at you, so thank you." I tell him and he pulls me into a hug. I hate when he tries to act like a parent, though it is better than what I actually received. "You're welcome."
_________________________________

"We were just getting started when it crashed through it landed on-top of Marie." The woman cried, a car ran through the chapel and injured man people. "She's breathing." I felt her breathing against my hand, "looks like this angel was literally watching over her." Buck says. "Hen, Ravi, get the driver out of here, Eddie, buck, Artemis, I want airbags, let's get this car lifted and stabilized before we move her." Buck and Eddie get the airbags situated while I put the c-collar on the woman. Eddie fills up the airbags, and I wait for buck to finish setting up the car. "Okay cap, this isn't gonna hold much longer."