Lullabye (Avengers/Banner x reader)

Bruce was wringing his hands and appeared apprehensive. "I don't know guys, I really shouldn't be in a fight near civilians. I don't think this is a good idea."

Sitting around the conference table, the team had assembled to plan their attack on the biggest HYDRA base to date. Unlike so many others, this base was near the center of a highly populated city, as if to flaunt their presence to their enemies. "Dr. Banner, we will call you in only if things get beyond our control. We don't want to have to call in the Hulk any more than you want us to." Steve had his arms folded in front of him, looking around the table for agreement. With a few nods and mumbles of "agreed", he called the meeting to an end. "Alright, team. Suit up."

~~~

"Steve, I think we're in over our heads here!" This base was heavily guarded and shielded by an energy force that Stark couldn't locate. You were outnumbered and struggling to keep the upper hand. As you flipped a guard over your back, knocking him out cold with a swift kick to the head, you were hit with a shift in emotions. "Cap! There's a pretty big team behind that bunker!" You could feel a large wave of anticipation and excitement, signaling a group ready to pounce.

"Banner, this is a code green! We need you out here!"

A mere seconds later, the ground shook beneath you. The fighting stopped for a few seconds and your senses changed to terror as the enemy realized what was about to happen.

No matter how many times you had seen him in action, the Hulk had always impressed you. The self-control that Banner possessed was remarkable to you, and in your quest to understand, you had worked with him to learn how to handle the attack of emotions that came when he was near. Still, as he approached it took your breath away to be hit with them, dropping you to your knees as you regained your composure.

"(Y/N), you got this?" The Captain's shield flew past you, striking several HYDRA guards who were taking aim.

"I'm good. Yeah, I've got this." Panting, you stood and smashed your elbow into the face of yet another guard as he charged you from behind. "Piece of cake."

~~~

After a long, drawn-out battle, the team was weary, badly beaten, and spread throughout the city. Thankfully, you had been able to clear out most of the civilians before the attack began, but the damage had been done to the city itself. With a roar overhead, you looked up to see Tony as he dropped down to land next to you.

"Hey, kid. How'd you hold up?"

Dusting yourself, you pulled your hair back and gave him a small laugh. "I've been better. But, I've been worse." Looking around the city below, you tried to locate the rest of your team. "Have you found everyone yet?"

The face plate of the suit opened, revealing a bruised and battered Iron Man. "No. And the comms are acting up; I've only been able to talk to Hawk and Cap." Quickly spinning, he looked around as the sounds of the Hulk echoed all around you. "Can anyone read me? We need Natasha to get to Banner for a lullabye." His voice was met with static. "Hello?" He looked to you with concern. "We need to get him to calm down before the civilians get back to the city. What've you got?"

Raising your hands at him, you laughed, backing away slightly. "Me?! I've got nothing! We've never worked on this, that's between him and Widow!"

Tony turned away, as if talking secretly to someone. "Cap, I want to send her in...but she may be the best shot we have...really? Do you really think he would...come on, Steve, you know she's our only shot if we can't get ahold of Romanoff. Sorry, but I'm taking her in, that's my final call."

Before you could interject, he had grabbed your waist and shot into the air.

~~~

Now Steve was furious. "Stark, I am not okay with this! She could get hurt! We could all get hurt! You're not thinking this thru!"

There was no reply.

"If anyone can hear me, we need to get to Banner! (Y/N) is going to try the lullabye, but she might need our help. If you read me, get to Banner!"

The roars of the Hulk were getting louder as you approached. Your nerves were uncontrollable and you were shaking. The downfall of your power was that they didn't work if you needed them for yourself. "Tony, stay by me, okay?"

"Sweetheart, I've got nowhere else to be."

As Tony set you in front of the Hulk, you slowly raised your hands before you, moving cautiously forward as you tried to calm him. "Hey, big guy." Control your breathing. "Sun's getting real low." Tony had moved back, slightly out of Hulk's view but still keeping you in sight. Steve had arrived and had taken position directly across. Thor and Barton were now completing the circle surrounding you both. There was still no sign of Romanoff or the twins.

"Bruce, I'm gonna need you to look at me, okay?" He quieted and looked at you, though still holding a large tree in his hand. How fast could you get out of the way if he chose to throw it at you? "It's time to go home now." You reached out a hand to him, and his expression changed to confusion. "Natasha isn't here right now, big guy, but you know you can trust me, right?"

He let out a loud roar, crushing the tree with one hand. You dropped to the ground, attacked by the emotions you had worked with Bruce to be able to handle. Gathering yourself, you stood once more, facing him. "Feel better?"

The sounds of Tony's repulsor charge filled the area. You saw Steve raise his shield, ready for Thor to strike. Barton had his bow raised and ready. "No! Stop!"

As if on cue, Pietro stopped in front of you, carrying Natasha, Wanda running in just behind them. She stepped towards the Hulk, calmly raising her hands as he responded to her. "Hey big guy, I'm here."

With a deep breath, you collapsed to the ground. Your powers were exhausted, as were you. The stress had taken its toll, your body and mind finally relenting.

~~~

You woke on the jet to see Bruce at your side.

"Hey, (Y/N). How do you feel?" As he frantically looked you over, you grabbed his hand.

"I'm okay. Hey, stop, I'm ok. Just one hell of a headache."

Tony walked up to your cot, holding an ice pack over his eye. "Hey, punk."

You sat up to face him, pulling the pack away. "What the hell happened to you?!" You laughed a bit at the pout on his face. "Please tell me I did that."

"Oh no, that was me." Steve raised his hand from the cockpit. "At least one of us feels better."