You Know That I Know (Coulson/Trip x reader)

"Come on, Nick. You know that I know. How long did you think you could keep a secret like this from me? From the team?"

Fury stood from his chair and leaned against the desk, his fist closed as he thrust it down angrily with a loud bang. "You cannot tell anyone on that team, do you understand me? This is not something to play around with, Agent. You would do well to just forget all about it."

His posture didn't startle or scare you; you could feel his lack of true anger behind the words. It was something that he quickly had forgotten existed in your arsenal of powers, leaving most of his methods of intimidation pointless. He had a loud bark but never once had he tried to bite.

"Really, take down the dramatics." You raised your hands up in mock defeat, allowing him to maintain the upper hand even though you could easily get the information you wanted directly from his mind. However, it was an invasion that you promised your team you would never use without their consent. "Just tell me where to find Phil."

"I don't think you understand the meaning of the word 'no', (Y/N)."

"And where exactly do you think I get that from, dad?"

He let out a long breath before he spoke again, regaining his composure. "Why is it that you use that word only when you want something from me?" His body relaxed as he sat back down in his chair behind the large desk. He turned to look out the window, surveying the view from his office at the Triskelion. "When I woke up this morning, I thought 'what great weather we've been having. It's going to be a good day. (Y/N) is coming to visit, we might grab some lunch, maybe a movie.' I never thought that I would have to sit here and threaten to strip you of your rank and security clearance just to keep you in control."

"Well, I'm sorry that I turned out to be such a disappointment." You turned to leave and stopped just short of exiting, turning to look at him. "I'm sorry." But you weren't apologizing for the interaction you had just had, but rather for the intrusion that you had undertaken. It didn't make you feel good to do it, but you needed to see Phil; to see him alive again. You searched his mind until the coordinates were found, and the confirmation that he was there. After the door closed behind you, you paused to lean back against it with your eyes closed, upset with yourself for what you had done.

"Okay," you whispered to yourself, "let's see what this 'Playground' is all about."

~~~

The compound wasn't as well hidden as you had expected, and it really didn't look all that impressive from the outside. You pulled your motorcycle into a shaded area a few hundred feet away, trying your best to be inconspicuous. Even though it was a SHIELD base, you weren't about to take any chances and had your gun secured at your side as you approached. You knew they had to be watching.

"Sir, I think you need to take a look at this."

"What've you got, Billy?" Coulson looked over his shoulder at the screen, choking on the sandwich he was trying to eat on his brief lunch break. With a few slaps to the back, he recovered but his expression was still pure shock at what he was seeing. "Son of a bitch." He pulled out his phone and dialed frantically; holding it up to his ear and speaking to someone he called 'sir' as he ran out of the room.

Trip leaned in closer to the screen, trying to make out who was causing all the commotion, when it finally hit him. "Hey, is that (Y/N)? Is that seriously...?"

"Fury's kid?" Koenig chuckled under his breath, "yeah. Yeah, this could get ugly."

As you reached your hand out towards the only door you could find, you stopped, sensing Phil on the other side; he was hesitating. You reached out again but the door opened before you could connect, and suddenly the man who was thought to be dead was alive and well in front of you. You didn't run to him, you didn't laugh or cry, you just stood there waiting for him to say something, but it never came.