Stark Reality (Tony Stark x reader)

Natasha held your file firmly in her hands, looking at the cover as if the answer to her question could be found in the fibers of the paper. How is Tony going to react to this? It could go well, or it could go really, really badly. He wasn't exactly a man likely to do things halfway, and this was sure to get quite the reaction.

During the collapse of SHIELD, when she and Steve found Zola's bunker, they had found information on experimentation that SHIELD had done, trying to replicate the success found with Howard Stark and Dr. Erskine. In an effort to create the perfect agent, they created someone to have strength, heightened senses, and genius intellect. Howard had volunteered his own DNA for intellect, and the experimentation itself had given you empathic capabilities with emotional manipulation. When SHIELD fell and HYDRA was exposed, you were released into the world, perceived as a threat to HYDRA's rebirth as a member of the Stark family.

When Steve left with Sam to search for Bucky, Natasha knew that she had to find you. Now, here she was, your information in her hands; one final step to her mission, but she couldn't get her feet to move. As she stared at your file, she didn't hear the footsteps rapidly approaching.

"Hey, red. Whatcha got there?" Tony snatched the papers from her grip, biting into an apple to hold it in his mouth as he walked away, reading the top page. Natasha didn't argue or follow, knowing that this moment was inevitable no matter how it played out. Tony's pace slowed, then came to a full stop; as his mouth hung open the apple dropped to the floor with a soft thud.

"Romanoff? What the hell is this?"

"Ok, Tony, let me explain..."

"I have a sister?"

~~~

As the car pulled into the garage at the Avengers tower, your stomach was filled with knots and your nerves were getting the best of you. You closed your eyes and tried to focus on your heartbeat, feeling the rhythm in your chest, trying to slow it enough to calm you, but it felt pointless. "Natasha, I don't know about this. Are you sure he wanted to see me, or are we blindsiding him?"

Nat put the car in park and turned the key, leaning back in the seat. "He said he would meet you."

"But," you pointed a finger in her direction, "does that mean he wanted to, or just to get it over with?" Your expression grew anxious as a realization struck you. "Oh, god, he knows that I don't want anything from him, right?"

"You worry too much." The redhead exited the vehicle, leaning down to look back at you. "Get your ass out of the car."

Even the parking garage was nicer than any other building you had ever been in. As she led you to the elevator, you began to realize just how much your new brother was worth, watching each floor pass by thru the glass walls of the lift. It did nothing to help your nerves. The closer you got to the top floor, where Tony was waiting, the stronger the sense of anxiety was that came over you.

It wasn't yours, it was his.

The elevator opened to an open lounge area, and you assumed that the man standing at the bar must be Tony. His features were familiar; you shared a few of the Stark traits, making it hard to deny your lineage. Natasha entered before you, pointing at Tony, you assume to remind him to behave.

"Hello, (Y/N). Care for a drink?"

"Um, no. Thank you."

Tony took down his drink in one swallow as he walked towards you, sizing you up; deciding if he believed you, if you worked for HYDRA, or if you were here for his fortune. The sense of anxiety that you felt from him before was slowly escalating. Did he know you were an empath? Was that why he was so extraordinarily nervous?