It's Just a Magic Trick (Sam Wilson x reader)

Each time that you performed a magic trick for a passerby on the busy New York sidewalk you would hear the gasps of amazement followed minor applause and the sound of coins dropping into your collection jar. If you were lucky, and if it was a day for generosity, you would be handed bills rather than spare change. For a long time, you tried to refuse their offerings, but once you realized that your spectators wouldn't take 'no' for an answer, you reluctantly began to accept them.

You didn't need the cash, and you weren't performing for it; the truth was simply that you were bored and needed an outlet for your magic. They weren't really tricks in the entertainment sense, but rather outlets for your enhancement that could easily pass as street magic to the common citizen.

It didn't take you long to notice that one particular spectator had become somewhat of a regular, stopping by to watch every day at noon, observing from across the street. At first you were nervous about his intentions, but as each day passed he merely watched while keeping his distance.

"Mommy, look! She turned my ribbon into a flower!"

The girl's mother pulled a bill from her purse and handed it to you, laughing along with her daughter at the trick but giving you a slightly suspicious look. They quickly moved along, and as you put the bill away another spectator stood in front of you to request another performance.

"What can you turn this into?"

You looked up to see the man who had been watching every day, finally working up the courage to approach you. Was it courage? Or was there a plan that he had in mind for you like several of the other intrigued spectators had in the past.

"What would you like me to turn it into?" you asked, keeping a cautious eye on him. "I've seen you standing over there every day for the past week. What is it that made you finally cross the street?"

"I feel like there's some bad 'why did the chicken cross the road' joke in there somewhere," he laughed with what you felt to be a genuine sound, and his smile was welcoming. He didn't seem like he should be considered a threat. "I've been watching you because you intrigue me."

"The last time that I intrigued someone, they tried to recruit me into their super secret organization."

"Let me guess. HYDRA?"

"SHIELD," you sighed. "Which one are you?"

"Neither, exactly. I'm Sam Wilson, from the Avengers." He knelt down in front of you and held out his hand for you to take, but you paused to regard him for a moment. He was still smiling and held back just enough to not feel like he was trying to intimidate you.

"Nice to meet you, Sam, finally. I'm (Y/N)."

"So," he said, handing you a small action figure. "Can you turn this into someone else?"

You took the small toy from his hand and turned it over a few times, laughing at his choice in character. "Captain America? What, did he piss you off or something? Are you gonna get rid of all of your toys now?"

"Nah, nothing like that. I just haven't been around long enough to have my own. Hoping maybe you could change that?"

"So you're jealous?" you smirked, "Not getting enough attention at home?"

"You're a bit of a ball-buster aren't ya?"

You held your hands up and shook your head, "hey, just calling it like I see it, Sam." It would be easy enough for you to make the change he wanted, but being on a busy sidewalk would likely draw unwanted attention. "So, what does your superhero costume look like anyway? Can't say that I've seen your work."