The Job's Not Finished (Rogers/Wilson x reader)

FYI: Steve's gonna swear. Just a little.

"Okay, let's go again," Steve panted, wiping the drips of sweat from his brow with the bottom of his shirt, and it was hard to avert your eyes at the sight of his chiseled abdomen as it peeked out from below the cloth. He smirked slightly from behind the shirt, having seen your eyes fixed on him, but when he finally dropped the shirt back into place, he was straight-faced and ready to return to work.

"This time I want you to drop that right shoulder faster and hook your foot tighter. We're going until you get me to the ground."

You took a deep breath to prepare and dropped your weight back into your stance to maintain your balance. He crouched down into position and gave you a quick nod only a second before he pounced; sparring with Steve was always intense and you had to be ready in a flash. When he charged forward you did as you were told, dropping your shoulder quickly to hit him in the ribs, but he didn't budge. In an attempt to save the move, you twisted his arm back to break his inertia, but all that did was slow you enough for him to reach down to grab your leg and throw you soundly onto the mat. You hit with a loud gasp at the pain in the left side of your chest, forgetting that you were already recovering from an injury there and not cushioning your fall.

"Woah, hey, are you alright?" Steve said, now full of worry as he knelt down at your side. "I must've misjudged how hard I threw you. I'm sorry." He saw you holding your side and reached down to move your shirt to check for injury, but you quickly slapped his hand away and took extra care as you stood.

"It wasn't you, Cap. I got banged up a little working with Sam yesterday and just didn't get my hand down fast enough. It's on me."

He stood silently for a moment and watched you gather yourself, waiting and deciding if the practice should continue or not. When you winced just from moving to straighten your shirt, he stepped to your side and grabbed your hand. "Let me look."

"Steve, I'm fine, really I just-"

"Now."

Turning your head away to avoid his disapproving eyes, you moved your hand and allowed him to lift your shirt slightly, enough to see the start of a bruise at the bottom of your rib cage. You felt your shirt continue to lift further up, and you heard him suck in a harsh breath when he realized that the darkened mark on your skin extended up into your armpit and towards your back.

"Sam hit you this hard?"

"I didn't protect my blind spot." Your voice felt uncertain even as you said the words, and you could only hope that Steve would accept your response and let you go. You had absolutely no interest in getting into a lengthy discussion on a topic that wasn't really any of his business. "Chalk it up to a learning experience, I suppose."

"Mmm hmm," he hummed skeptically. The tips of his fingers grazed just above your skin without making contact as he continued to look, but the small breeze of air from his movements gave you goose bumps that sent a chill down your spine. He wanted to connect, wanting to try to erase the pain and discoloration away, but he pulled his hand back and gently lowered your shirt back into place. "We're done for today. I think we should hold off for a few days until this heals."

~~~

With your training done early for the day, you seized the opportunity to go home early and enjoy some time alone before your boyfriend joined you. Between missions with the team and spending time with him during every free moment, you relished in the idea of having a few precious hours to yourself. After a hot shower that soothed the ache in your muscles and drained all of the hot water from your home, you grabbed a book and curled up on the couch under your favorite blanket.