We Are Not Soldiers (Rogers/Stark x reader): Civil War Reference

Steve was restless as he sat up in bed, reading files that were strewn across his lap, and angrily typing information onto his computer. You had all but given up on sleep as you heard the occasional huff and murmured curse come from him, now becoming more frequent.

"Babe, what's wrong? You've been at this for hours."

"Have you read this?" He angrily threw one of the files onto your lap as you sat up, the papers nearly falling to the floor. "This can't happen. This is a violation of our civil rights, and Stark agrees with it! How the hell can he be okay with this?"

You had heard talk of the Superhuman Registration Act; the government wanted to require anyone with natural or acquired superhuman abilities, including non-super powered humans who used advanced tech, to register so that they could coordinate their use in enforcing the law. It could mean that anyone with advanced abilities would be trained and controlled by government rule. On the other hand, it also meant that better control could mean fewer civilian casualties. Teams could be trained to work together, and sent into situations only when needed and only those with the appropriate skills or powers. After recent events of civilian harm and destruction, maybe the public trust could be regained.

"Well, I can see both sides of this, Steve. There should be a way to find a middle ground here."

"You're just saying that because he's your brother." Steve stood, tossing the files carelessly onto the floor. "Of course you don't want to disagree with him."

You set down the file you had been reading and looked at your husband, confused. "Wait, what? I'm not disagreeing with him because he's my brother? What if I'm not disagreeing with him because I might actually agree? Am I not allowed to disagree with you?"

"You can't be serious, (Y/N). You really agree with being forced to identify yourself and your abilities to the government who, in turn, will use you however they see fit? What if you don't agree with how they want to use your power? You can't say no; they will own you. If you go against them, you could end up in prison, (Y/N)."

You stood now to face him directly, holding a firm posture that matched his. His body was tense and his arms were crossed over his chest; it was his classic authoritative pose, but it had no effect on you. "Steve, you know that's not what I want. But I also don't want any more innocent lives affected by our actions. I also don't want vigilantes running around, using their abilities to do whatever the hell they want."

"Well, (Y/N), you can't have it both ways. You're going to have to pick a side."

"You're joking."

Steve took a deep breath and let it out deliberately. You sensed his anger, but it was restrained, combined with a deep sadness. He knew what he was asking of you, and was afraid of the answer he would receive. As he looked at you, his voice became deeper and his eyes darkened, "do I look like I'm joking?"

Stepping to your bathroom, you grabbed your robe off the door and quickly draped it around your shoulders. "Steve, you're asking me to choose between my husband and my brother. How can you possibly expect me to do that?"

"I'm asking you to choose what's right."

You needed to clear your head, and you had to talk to Tony. "I can't tear my family apart over this, Steve."

"(Y/N), that's going to happen no matter what you decide."

~~~

You felt sick to your stomach as you entered the elevator, preparing yourself to talk to your brother. The doors closed swiftly behind you, but your hand hesitated over the button for the penthouse; the hand that bore your intricate and vintage wedding ring. Pulling back, your fingers traced over the stones and slowly spun the ring around your finger as your mind raced. What would you even say to him? Would he insist that you make the same choice that Steve had?