Gone in a Flash (Pietro Maximoff x reader)

The first time you saw that flash of silver was in Wakanda, when he sped past Steve to grab you as you lost your footing on the slippery cargo ship floor and nearly fell to the hard and unforgiving ground a hundred feet below. Despite his speed, he slowed and stood you firmly on your feet, giving you a smile that you would likely never forget. It didn't matter who's side you were on, he wanted to be at yours and come to your rescue.

The second time you marveled at the silver ribbons passing by was in Sokovia, when he sped past you to reach Clint just barely in time to save him and the small boy in his arms. For just a millisecond you felt him pause to kiss your cheek as he flew by, his speed creating a breeze that pushed you back before you could reach out to stop him. It would be the final time that you would see that color; it was the final time that you would allow yourself to.

The third time you saw what you thought was that familiar flash of silver, you were just about to enter the tower, spinning to see the light that had caught in your peripheral vision. You shook your head, believing that you were hallucinating him; that your mind was showing you what you wanted to see, rather than what was really there. Pietro was gone. You saw him die. Your mind was cruel, and that was the only explanation.

"Hey, girl, where have you been? I was just about to give up on you."

"Sorry, Sam," you sighed, leaning over to give him your customary welcome kiss on his cheek. "I guess I lost track of time." You leaned back towards the door and looked down the sidewalk, hoping to see that familiar flash again.

"What's going on?"

"I thought I saw something, but I guess not."

Sam regarded you for a moment, trying to read the emotions in your face and seeing a hint of disappointment in your features. You had planned this day out together to do birthday shopping for Steve, and you had seemed really excited, so he was confused as to where your good mood had gone. "(Y/N), I know you better than that," he smirked, nudging you in the arm with his elbow. "Spit it out."

"I don't know," you sighed, shaking your head and still looking out the large windows, "I could've sworn that I saw Pietro. I'm crazy, right?"

"Right."

Your mouth dropped open in shock and you quickly reached out for his arm with a resounding slap. "You don't have to be so readily agreeable, you know."

"Then stop sounding crazy," he laughed. "Come on, sweetheart, we've got our work cut out for us. Steve is the hardest guy to shop for, unless they bottle freedom, justice and the American way into a nice cologne or something."

"They do, don't you remember? The cologne that they made for each Avenger right after New York?" A wide smile and a mischievous giggle escaped your lips, "his is called Patriot. With a name like that, it had better smell like freedom."

"If we can't find it, they've got plenty of other team merch. We can grab a tie, a Stark Industries jacket, t-shirts, shoes, and even underwear! Can you believe that?" Sam held the door open for you and quickly slid his sunglasses down over his deep brown eyes. "Don't get me wrong, I love Cap, but I can't have him hanging around downtown."

~~~

After the long day together, Sam took the bags of your shopping successes upstairs while you took a few minutes alone outside to catch your breath and look for that familiar color, hoping for just a glimpse to prove that you weren't actually crazy. It was a long shot, but it was one you needed to take.

"You're not imagining it."

You stood quickly at the voice you didn't recognize; it was cold and harsh, with an ominous tone that drowned out the busy city noise around you. There was no face to go with it, however, leaving you feeling even more anxious. "What am I not imagining, exactly? And who are you, anyway?"