T.A.H.I.T.I. (Jemma Simmons x reader)

It was 1:02pm. Your best friend since childhood was supposed to meet you at the tower at 1pm. It wasn't so much that she was late, because that was barely even true; it was that you hadn't seen her in over a year, and this moment couldn't come soon enough. Steve had promised that you could have the day to yourself so you could catch up and have 'a girly day or whatever', in his own eloquent words. Finally, your phone buzzed in your pocket.

I'm at the door. I'm nervous. I don't know if I can come up there.

Simmons, get your ass in here.

They're in there, aren't they?

They want to meet you.

...

If you aren't up here in two minutes, I'm sending Steve after you. I know he's your fave.

I hate you.

"Alright, you guys, she's on her way up." Looking specifically at Tony, you were still addressing the team, but with mostly him in mind. "Please, please behave. She's already nervous enough."

Tony feigned a look of shock that you would think he would make any trouble. "What is she so nervous about? And why do you keep pointing at me?"

"You know full well why, Stark. Besides," you paused to face Steve with a smirk on your lips, "this one is her favorite." Moving in front of the Captain, you bent down to look face-to-face and put your hand on his chin. "Must be the eyes...or the hair...or the chiseled jaw..." you ran a hand over his arm, "or the muscles."

His eyes were wide, the sandwich he was eating now held in his mouth from the shock of your attention on him. "W-whuf do oou meam?"

"Cap, it's not polite to talk with your mouth full." You released him when you finally heard the doors of the elevator open, revealing your friend, who looked just a bit terrified to be there.

"Hello, (Y/N). Um, I made it." Jemma slowly stepped from the lift, hesitant and restrained in her movements. You ran to her, grabbing her in a tight hug that tipped her off her footing.

"Finally! God, I've missed you! How have you been?! What have you been up to?! Where have you been?!"

"So, are you gonna introduce us to this 'light of your life' or what?" You could feel her heart begin to race as Clint spoke. If she focused on you she was able to forget that she was in a room surrounded by superheroes, and she could control her nerves.

You grabbed her hand and nodded towards the group, quickly pulling her along behind you as you joined them. "Everyone, this is my brilliant friend, Jemma Simmons. Jemm, this is everyone. I assume you know them all, right?"

"Are you kidding?! Of course I do!" Her eyes darted towards Steve and her cheeks rapidly grew red. "I mean...um...yes, I have read the bios on each of you...yes."

In your peripheral vision, you could see Steve stand and walk slowly towards the two of you. He was up to something; you could see the twinkle in his eye from across the room. You gave a knowing glance to Natasha, a quiet laugh building in your chest.

"Ma'am." Steve's eyes met hers as he gently reached for her hand, bringing it to his lips. His voice had lowered an octave, and he spoke quietly as if she were the only one in the room. He could be so smooth when he wanted to be, but you weren't sure if this was for her benefit or for his own. "It really is a pleasure to meet you."

Jemma's mouth was open but there were no sounds coming out. She cleared her throat and tried to take a deep breath. "The pleasure is...all mine...Captain Rogers."