Who Needs Sleep? (Steve Rogers x reader)

Sleeping on the Quinjet was nearly impossible. For a guy who designs everything, pays for everything, and makes everyone look cooler, Tony sure didn't give a damn about comfort. Standing up to stretch a bit, you let out a small groan as a muscle in your neck tightened.

"Hey, (Y/N), you ok?"

"I swear you're not the only elderly on this team, Cap. I feel like hell." Rubbing your neck, you reluctantly sat back into the chair, giving up on any sleep until you returned to the tower. "Would it have killed Tony to throw in a small cot or two?"

Steve stood and moved to your seat. "Here, let's switch places." You rose to give him your chair, wondering what he was up to, as really, both of your chairs were equally uncomfortable. "Ok, sit on the floor in front of me." As you leaned your back against his legs, he carefully swept your hair to the side and began to massage your neck.

Oh, this was heaven. You were sure of it. His strong hands moved so delicately, but firm enough to finally give your muscles much needed relief. His fingers circled the line from your shoulder and up your neck. He slowly ran his fingers thru your hair, massaging your head. As your body relaxed to his touch, your eyes grew heavy, and your breathing slowed. When you woke as the jet landed at the tower, your head was in his lap, his hands gently resting on your back.

~~~

The next week would prove to be your hardest mission yet. No one walked away unscathed. Even the mighty Thor had battle scars. HYDRA was ready for you with each mission, and the element of surprise was all but gone. You really could have used the Captain on this one, but he was following a strong lead on Bucky and had to make the hard call to sit this one out.

Throwing yourself into your bed, you didn't care that you were wearing your gear, dirty and torn. You were a bit bruised and beaten, but that would have to wait. You just wanted to sleep-

"(Y/N)! Open the door!"

Nearly falling out of bed, you ran to the door and flung it open. "Jesus, Steve! Scare the hell out of me, why don't ya? What's going on?!" His eyes were wide with concern, and small beads of sweat lined his furrowed brow.

"I heard the mission didn't go well. Were you hurt? You look like you were hurt. Has anyone checked you for injuries? Sit down, let me look."

Pushing himself thru the door, Steve practically carried you back to your bed, his eyes frantically searching you for any signs that you had been hurt. He began to remove your weapons belt as you grabbed his hands.

"Ok, ok, ok, stop. Cap, I'm fine. Steve...stop."

He paused, embarrassed. He dropped back to sit on the floor facing you. "(Y/N), I'm sorry. Tony called me and said that the mission was too risky and you had all barely made it out. I feel so guilty for not being there, for following my own personal needs over those of my team. I feel guilty for not being there to protect you." With a sigh, he put his head in his hands, realizing that he was revealing his secret to you. "I worry about you every time you go out there. I can't stop thinking about you. I can't imagine anything happening to you. If something happened because of me..." Steve shook his head, desperate to remove the thought from his mind.

"Steve. Hey, Steve, look at me." You slowly sat next to him, putting your hands on his, pulling them from his face. "Steve. That's how I feel every time we're out there. I'm always afraid that you're going to get hurt, or...worse. I don't know what I would do without you."

For the first time, you saw hope in his eyes. Slowly and cautiously, he pressed his lips to yours. As you responded to him, his kiss became more urgent and needing. He leaned forward, pushing you back to the floor. Now above you, he held your hands above your head and the weight of his body against you. "I really hope that you don't mind waiting on that nap."

~~~

"Sir?"

"What's up, JARVIS?"

"The bet is complete. I believe Dr. Banner owes you twenty dollars."

Tony pulled out his cellphone, frantically texting his friend, a huge grin on his face.

Capsicle finally grew a pair. Pay up.