Mischief Managed (Pietro Maximoff x reader)

You knew something was up the minute he showed up at your apartment. Pietro was looking mischievous, more so than usual, and he wasn't giving up any details. He kept glancing over at you from the living room as you finished getting ready for your date, always on his phone or texting frantically. He seemed distracted and you wondered if a date tonight was even a good idea.

"Alright, what is going on? You're acting like something's wrong and it's driving me crazy."

He shoved his phone into his pocket and quickly turned, smiling when he saw you. "You look beautiful, my love. Are you ready to go?" He took both of your hands in his and pulled you in for a quick kiss.

"Don't try to distract me, Pietro. You're up to something," you pulled your hands back and pointed at him as you backed towards the door, "I can see it in your eyes. You're not as good at hiding things as you think you are."

Sliding his jacket on, he laughed and flipped off the lights, following you out with a little bounce in his step. He was clearly proud of something he was doing. "Darling, I am very good. I am very, very good."

~~~

The next day had been planned for you to spend with Wanda doing all the girly things that you really didn't enjoy doing. She wanted to shop, visit the salon, have lunch, and things of that nature, but all you wanted to do was get a sweat-covered workout back at the tower. Things like this weren't on your list of enjoyable experiences, but Pietro really wanted you to bond with his sister, so you went along with it. Today was her lucky day, however, since Tony kicked everyone out for the day while he worked on some new top-secret project.

"Why are you so fidgety?"

"There's someone that I don't know touching my feet," you whispered, "it's weird."

She laughed out loud, ruining any chance you had at being subtle in front of the poor woman who had to deal with you and your ticklish feet. "It's not weird, it's relaxing. Try to enjoy it."

You silently nodded and rested your head back against the chair, trying to let your mind wander to anywhere but here. "Wanda, I need you to be honest with me about something."

"Of course, I'm always honest."

"Is Pietro happy with me? He's been acting really strange lately."

Wanda sat up attentively, looking at you like you were out of your mind. "My brother is completely in love with you, (Y/N). I've never seen him like this about anyone. It's wonderful." She sat back against the chair and moved her hand to rest on yours, gently rubbing your fingers with hers. "He is yours."

She jumped when you squealed, quickly yanking your feet out of the warm and soapy water. "Nope. Nope, I can't. It's too weird, Wanda." Apologizing to the woman who was now soaked from your sudden refusal to let her work, you pulled your feet up underneath you protectively and closed your eyes with a shudder jolting through you. "I don't do feet."

~~~

"What do you mean, you're on your way back already?! Even I'm not fast enough to be ready yet, Wanda!"

"She wanted to come back, I'm sorry," she whispered into the phone, trying her best to not let you hear. "I tried to tell you that she wouldn't like this stuff. You're supposed to know her better than anyone, aren't you?"

Pietro let out a loud huff, his tone changing to exasperated, "you know, the respect for your older brother has really suffered lately." He paused, thinking quickly about how to prepare for your imminent arrival back at the tower, "okay, find a way to give me one more hour." He threw the phone on the table and began to frantically try to finish his preparations.

"Hey, watch where you're going!" Clint sat back on the couch with a thud, trying to avoid getting run over by the flash of silver as Pietro passed by. "We're gonna be ready, just calm down."

"Yeah, you really need to take it down a notch, Speedy." Tony poked his head out from behind the bar, lining glasses up along the edge. "I'm on the job, and parties are my specialty. She's gonna love it."

Pietro stopped in front of him, panting slightly, "she doesn't celebrate her birthday. She told me that they always turn out terrible, so she hasn't done this in years. It needs to be perfect."

Tony reached up and put a firm hand on his shoulder, giving him a resounding slap as he walked past. "I've got this."

~~~

When you and Wanda had reached the tower, you could feel that something was going on. She looked nervous; much like the way Pietro had looked before your date the night before. You gave her a skeptical look, pointing at her and pausing before following her in. "He's up to something, isn't he? You're helping him."

"I don't know what you mean."

You squinted your eyes as you studied her, trying to get her to break her resolve and give you the information you wanted. "You suck at this, Maximoff. What is he up to?"

She sighed and opened the door, relenting and waving you inside. "Just go."

The realization of what was happening hit you when she all but confirmed that something was going on. You told Pietro some time ago that you didn't celebrate your birthday, and it was coming up tomorrow. "He figured it out," you whispered to yourself, looking at her with surprise. "That's it, isn't it? Someone told him that my birthday is tomorrow."

"Don't be mad. He's very excited," she said, visibly nervous now. "And Steve may have let it slip..."

You huffed and stormed to the elevator, trying to keep your emotions in check. Birthdays always ended poorly for you, and the last thing you wanted was for Pietro to be a part of that curse. At the same time, you didn't want to hurt his feelings, knowing he had put so much effort into keeping you away so he could get things ready. You closed your eyes and cleared your mind, hoping you could keep your frustration from showing in your face when you saw him.

When the doors opened, your mouth hung open and you dropped your bags at your sides. The entire team was there and the room was filled with friends and family that you hadn't seen in forever. The party was in full swing; the room was filled with music and decorations that gave it a warm ambience that you hadn't seen before. It was wonderful, and Pietro was standing right in the middle of it.

When he saw you, he was immediately at your side and took your hand in his. "Hello, my love," he whispered as he put your hand to his lips. "Come with me."

He led you to your room, where a gown and shoes were laid out for you across your bed. "Who...who did this? It's beautiful."

"Natasha said she knew what you would like," he looked at you with hope in his eyes, "was she correct?"

"Yes," you sighed, turning to look at him with a smile as you checked out his own attire. "You're in a suit. I've never seen you in a suit before; it's very nice." You leaned up against him with your hands on his chest. "Very nice."

"Okay, okay," he laughed, taking your hands in his. "save that for later. We have a party to attend, and you are the guest of honor." He sat down on the edge of your bed, watching as you changed into the dress that Nat had chosen, marveling that it fit you perfectly. "You are beautiful, my love. I'm so lucky."

You reached for his hand to hold you steady as you slipped on your shoes. "Yes, you are," you chuckled. "Okay, I'm ready." You spun around in front of him, excited that this could be the first birthday that you would actually enjoy, and that he would be there with you. "Thank you for this, Pietro. It's more than I would ever expect."

He wrapped his arm around your waist and pulled you in tightly, gently pushing your hair aside so he could kiss your neck, sending chills down your spine. "Get used to this, my princess. You deserve this and so much more." His hand slid down your arm until his hand joined yours, his fingers winding with yours, "Happy birthday, (Y/N)."