Substitute Teacher (Tony Stark x reader)

"Hi, Mr. Stark, I'm (Y/N)," you held your hand out to the man that Nick Fury had told you so much about. He was that genius, billionaire, playboy, something or other guy who was apparently a pretty big deal.

"No, no, that will never do," he smiled as he took your hand then turned to lead you into the tower, "you call me Tony. Got it, kiddo?"

You glanced back to Nick nervously, wondering if you were making the right choice in joining the team. You definitely weren't the most outgoing person, and if this was a group of strong personalities you might just drown within them.

"Yes, sir."

He stopped just short of the door and turned, looking at you incredulously, "they told me you were a fast learner?"

"Tony," you sighed, "I'm sorry. Tony."

"Atta girl."

~~~

"(Y/N), it's just physics. How are you not getting this?"

"Excuse me?"

Tony moved around the lab table to stand at your side, putting his arm around you and his hand on your shoulder as he pointed to the screen before you with the other. "Okay, let's dumb this down...." his voice trailed off and he looked at you cautiously, waiting for the slap that would surely grace the back of his head. "That was a poor choice of words. I'm gonna pay for that in some subtle way later, aren't I?"

"It's not gonna be that subtle," you sighed.

He turned back to the screen, trying to keep his mind on the lesson and not the revenge that you were surely plotting as he spoke. Your mind was definitely working on your plan and you were lost in your own thoughts. Every so often his voice would break through with words like 'kinematics' or 'astrophysics' and other terms that really meant nothing to you, but he was so animated when he spoke and was so passionate about his work that you couldn't help but appreciate at least that much.

"So, what do you think?" he asked, eager to hear if you finally understood.

"I think you get way too excited about this stuff, Tony." You reached up and put your hand on his face, quickly giving him a kiss on the cheek before stepping away. "But sorry, old man, I still don't get it."

"Fine," he sighed, "then don't expect me to learn any of that pathophysiology junk that you're working on." He waved his hand dismissively and turned back to his computer, "as long as this temple of a body is working, then that's all I need to know."

"You do realize that 'temple of a body' uses the laws of physics just as much as one of your suits, right?" You gave him a smug smile as he did his best to ignore you, looking suddenly very interested in whatever was on his screen. "The energetics of metabolism, turbulence of fluid flow in the heart and lungs, and the acoustics of sound waves? Would you like to discuss the principles of regulatory feedback in the central nervous system, perhaps?"

You stood next to him with your arms resting on the table, leaning forward towards him to get him to meet your gaze, but he didn't acknowledge you, still doing his best to stare at a screen that he hadn't touched in several minutes. "Tony? Is that the face you make when you're losing?" You reached out and closed his computer, looking at him with your best mocking pout.

"Would you like me to dumb it down for you?"

~~~

Several days later you spent the day with Clint, working on target practice while waiting for Tony to return with Steve and Thor from their quick mission only a few states away. Since you had arrived at the tower a few months ago, you made it a point to spend time with each of your teammates individually; not only did you want to know them better, but it was the best way to gain enough comfort to not feel so shy and awkward around them. Joining the team had been intimidating to say the least, and if it hadn't been for Tony, you may have already quit.