In The Name Of Science (Pietro Maximoff x reader)

Based off the song the scientist by Coldplay

Come up to meet you, tell you I'm sorry

You don't know how lovely you are

I had to find you

Tell you I need you

Tell you I set you apart

Tell me your secrets

And ask me your questions

Oh, let's go back to the start

~~~

You sat with your head resting in your hand, leaning against the bar in the Avengers tower. The room was still a mess, with splintered wood and bits of glass strewn everywhere; the signs of the first battle with Ultron evident wherever you looked. You received word that the team was on their way back from Sokovia, and you were anxious to see how the new team members had done under fire.

The last time you had spoken with either Wanda or Pietro was about a year ago when you escaped the lab that held the three of you. No matter how much you begged, they wouldn't leave with you, and your friendship felt that it was all but gone now. How cruel fate was to bring you back together here, when you thought you had finally moved on from those memories; from memories of loving a man who didn't love you back.

When the team exited the quinjet, the first out was Clint; his face was pale and tired, holding Natasha's arm as he walked. Tony and Steve were immediately behind, looking like they were deep in a conversation that was about to get quite heated. Finally, Wanda and Pietro emerged and met your gaze straight away. Wanda squealed and ran to you, throwing her arms around you.

"My love, you really are here! Oh, I am so happy to see you again!"

You welcomed her embrace and returned the hug readily, though your eyes set on a target behind her, watching Pietro come closer. "Hello, (Y/N), we've missed you so much." He joined in, putting his arms around both of you. When they pulled back from you, Pietro looked to his sister, "Wanda, could you give us a moment alone please?"

"Not like I would want to talk to her, right?" she sneered. "We can catch up later, (Y/N)." She gave your arm a small squeeze and moved to follow the rest of the team out of the room, leaving you alone with Pietro for the first time in forever.

"I want you to know that I'm sorry about how things were left with us, (Y/N). I want you to understand why we didn't go with you."

"Okay," you sighed, moving behind the bar to grab a glass and a bottle, pouring yourself a drink. "Want one?"

"We didn't go with you because I couldn't understand what I was feeling. I didn't want to go with you because I was afraid of what would happen." He grabbed your drink from your hands and took a long drink before handing it back. "I was afraid of falling in love with you because I couldn't guarantee my own future, much less yours."

You scoffed at this, what you believed to be the weakest argument in the history of any argument ever made. "Well then, my friend, it's your lucky day." You grabbed the bottle and began your move towards your room, "because it's nowhere near being your problem anymore."

~~~

Running in circles

Coming up tails

Heads on a science apart

Nobody said it was easy

It's such a shame for us to part