Growing Pains (Avengers x reader)

This would be the last time that you would call this room yours. The last time the walls of this house would contain your laughter, your tears, your anger, or your powers. You closed your eyes tight while lying on your bed, trying to keep your emotions from boiling over. They would be here soon to take you away from the only home that you had ever known, and away from the people who came to become your family when you had no other.

But your powers had reached their peak, and there was no more learning to be done here. You had full control now, and you knew how to keep those around you safe. When the doorbell finally rang, you stood slowly from your bed and looked around the room one last time. Sliding on your gloves, you grabbed your suitcase and exited, closing the door behind without looking back.

"Ah, (Y/N), there you are. Please, come meet Doctor Banner and Captain Rogers."

"Hello, pleasure to meet you both." It was a lie, but at least it was a kind one. The Captain was quite large in comparison to the doctor, who seemed meek and unassuming. You wondered what kind of team they could belong to and not have any sense of a commanding presence. "So, can we go then?"

Banner looked at you, cautiously holding his hands out to take yours. "We can go anytime that you'd like, (Y/N)." You didn't take the offer of his hand, but moved to stand at his side.

"Professor, thank you for all that you've done for me. I'm really going to miss it here." You felt the telltale warmth and sting of tears in your eyes, but you refused to let them spill over. If you were going to be sent away to do the work of adults at the age of only 14, on a team that saves the world time and again, you would start right now.

"You are always welcome here, (Y/N). You know that."

With a silent nod, you turned away to allow Bruce to lead you to the jet; Steve stayed a step behind. "Professor, we'll take good care of her. We want to do what's best."

"Thank you, Captain. And please, call me Charles."

~~~

You had made the Avengers tower your home for a week now, and all that you had done was sit in the lab while Bruce ran test after test, trying to understand and index your abilities in their system. It was tedious work for the both of you, and you yearned for the day to come when you could begin your formal team training.

"Doctor Banner, how much more of this is there?"

"Well, (Y/N), I know what your powers can do, I just don't know why. There's no scientific basis for psionic abilities such as yours." He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes, turning to you. "Is there anything else that you can tell me about how your powers came to be?"

Shaking your head, you jumped down from the table and put your gloves back on. "I'm sorry, but no. You now know as much as I do."

"Well then, I guess it's time." The doctor pulled his phone from his lab coat, typing quickly on the keys. Waiting for direction, all you could do was stand and wait for whatever he said it was time for. The doors to the lab opened, revealing Steve, holding a black uniform made for you. When he handed it to you he was overly cautious to not touch your hands.

"My gloves are on, sir. You're safe."

"Right...um...sorry about that. I'm still adjusting, I suppose." He pointed to the uniform as you unfolded it and held it up in front of you. "There are gloves and gauntlets built right in, so there's never a worry that you might have forgotten them when out in the field." He paused, looking from you to Banner and back. "It's time to suit up. Both of you."

Your eyes widened at the idea of leaving the tower already. You hadn't had any training yet and wouldn't know what to do. "Wait, now? Captain, I haven't trained at all."