Take My Hand (Agents of Shield x reader)

"I miss my hand." Coulson was sitting behind his desk, studying the stump that held his left appendage only a few weeks before. "They wouldn't even let me keep it." He was pouting like a little kid now, resting his chin against his other hand with a face of discontentment.

"What? Like in a jar on your desk?" Skye looked up, her face cringing at the thought. She took a second look at the snack that was resting on her lap; she paused for just a moment before she shook her head slightly and pushed the plate away, her appetite now completely gone. "That's kinda morbid, Coulson, even for you."

"Hey man, if you're pissed about that whole exchange of a hand for being alive thing again, I'm more than happy to help you try out the other option." Mack pulled himself out from beneath Lola, and it was clear that this conversation was bothering him. "But if you want to pull yourself together, I could probably fix up a new one for you. I'm sure Turbo has some ideas."

"Thanks, but Fury's putting a call in to Stark. Hopefully he doesn't ask too many questions about why he might want just a hand with no explanation." Phil contemplated the thought and what that conversation might entail. "Maybe Stark wasn't the best choice. Oh hell, I'm gonna end up with some ridiculous hand that was a reject from that damn suit, I just know it."

"Hey guys, take a look at this," Skye said as she jumped down from her perch on the computer console. "Someone destroyed a small town in Arizona, right neaer the border." As she read further into the story, the pictures and words creating a colorful glow across her face, she gasped and cupped her hand over her mouth in shock. She spun he computer around for the group to see, locking her gaze with Phil when he looked from the screen back to her.

"I know her." Her expression was confused, not knowing how or why you would have done something so explosive, and how you did it on your own. "Well, I used to know her. Something's happened."

~~~

Dust swirled around the plane as it landed in the open desert, only a half mile from the site that was believed to be destroyed by you. Once the engines stopped, the dust settled and the air was stagnant and hot enough to feel a burn in their lungs with each breath. The team stepped from the door, surveying the land with eyes that stung from the harsh light of the desert sun.

"Alright, let's split this up. May, take Mack and Fitz and head west, I'll take Skye and Hunter and head east." Coulson looked at Skye, who was visibly nervous about what finding you could mean. "Let's try to convince (Y/N) to come with us willingly, no force unless absolutely necessary, got it?"

May gave him a nod and without saying anything, took her team and walked away. Phil spun in place to look around him, grabbing his infrared binoculars and searching the horizon for any sign of life. "There," he stopped and pointed to an area just about as far out as he could see. "I think I see a few buildings, let's check them out."

The threesome grew tired quickly, the heat taking its toll on them as they continued on. When they finally reached the cluster of run-down buildings, they searched until they found an old shopkeeper, still minding his store of expired goods and dust-covered shelves. Coulson approached him slowly, as to not startle him; it was very likely that visitors were very rarely seen here.

"Good day, sir. We're from out of town, and we would appreciate some help finding our friend." Phil slid the picture of you across the counter cautiously, lining it up with the man's line of vision, but not releasing it from his grasp. "Do you recognize her at all?"

The man perked up at the sight of you in the hazy surveillance picture, lifting it up to have a closer look. "She is a miracle."

"Excuse me?" Phil looked at Skye and Hunter and turned back towards him, "we have information that this person destroyed a small town near here. Is that not correct?"