Rapunzel (Tony Stark x reader)

Putting your hair up into your jump helmet was almost impossible. It was long, thick and downright unruly. The sheer volume alone took up most of the helmet, and you had yet to find a way to control it. There were many days when you were close to cutting it all off, but you could never quite bring yourself to do it. Today was another one of those days; no matter how you secured it, tangled strands fell around your face.

"You know, I'm pretty good at braiding. It's one of my top secret skills that we don't divulge to the public." Looking at yourself in the mirror, you could see Tony's reflection as he stood behind you with a smirk crossing his lips.

"Have at it, my friend. But I must warn you, you're going in at your own risk."

As Tony combed thru your hair, you began to wonder what this would look like from an outsider's perspective. If one of the other Avengers were to walk in, the ridicule would be legendary. If Cap thought he suffered thru the whole 'language' debacle, this would make that look like a walk in the park. He began to weave your hair thru his fingers, slowly twisting the braid into shape. His tongue was sticking out just a bit at the corner of his mouth, his concentration fully focused on your hair.

"Elastic?"

Tony wrapped the hair tie around the end of the braid and let it hang down your back. He stood for a moment, looking over his work. "I need 4 bobby pins. No more, no less."

"Wow, you're really getting into this, aren't you.?" He popped the pins between his lips as he wrapped the braid around your head, securing it into place. He stepped back one more time to check for any loose strands, clapping his hands together at his success. "Done!"

You spun your chair around so that you could see your hair from all sides, marveling in the detailed work he had done. "Well, that settles it. You are officially my mission hairstylist. Who would've thought?"

~~~

When the mission was completed and the team returned home to the tower, you didn't have the heart to take down the braid just yet. Not only was it really well done and it stayed in place like a dream, it was something special. Tony was your best friend, and the fact that he did this for you meant a lot. Once you had taken a few pictures, you finally resolved to take down the braid and jump in the shower, but there was a knock at your door.

"Miss, it's Mr. Stark."

"Thanks, FRIDAY, let him in please."

When the door opened you were immediately concerned at the sight before you. Tony looked exhausted and anxious, like so many of those nights when he couldn't sleep, sometimes for days on end. He was wringing his hands and pacing in your doorway; he looked on the verge of panic.

"Can you come sit with me for a bit?"

~~~

Tony sat on the couch in the darkened room and gestured for you to sit next to him. He pulled you in to sit with your back to his chest, slowly beginning to undo the braid on your head. His fingers were moving very carefully as to not pull too hard, gently twisting the strands as they released.

"Are you okay, Tony? Did something happen?"

He took a few deep breaths, continuing his work. "No, nothing specific. I think I'm just exhausted." Your hair was now completely unbound, but he was still running his fingers thru the waves that were left behind. "When I was helping you earlier, I had this strange calmness when I ran my fingers thru your hair. It's all I've wanted to do since we got back. Is that weird?"

Closing your eyes and laughing softly, you were just relieved that nothing had happened to cause his sudden mood shift. "No, sweetie, it's not weird. If this helps calm you, then this is what we'll do."

A short time later, your eyes fluttered open to a completely dark room, the sounds of Tony's quiet snores behind you. You had no idea how long you had been asleep, but when you woke you found yourself covered with a blanket that hadn't been there before. A dim light was on in the lab, and you could see Bruce's shadow inside. Rather than getting up and risking waking your friend, you grabbed your phone to text the doctor.

Thanks for the blanket, B.

Thanks for finally getting him to sleep.

I knew it.

You must have some magical hair. I might need to study this.

The next message was a picture of you sleeping against Tony, your hair draped over his face as if he were shielding himself with it, breathing you in.

Yeah, now it's weird.