Happy birthday

Nicole

"Happy birthday to you... Happy birthday dear Nicole... Happy birthday to you!"

I smiled from ear to ear as all my close friend sang to me. Today was my twenty first birthday and I was damn happy about it.

"Girl you 21" My bestie Korea said, yelling in my ear.

We had been jointed at the hip since 10th grade. Girls and sometimes boys picked on her because of her appearance. Korea's family were lower cast and back then you could definitely tell. One day I got tired of seeing her being bullied so I stood up for her, and we've been cool since then.

"Here drink up girl!" She cheesed, handing me what looked like a shot of patron.

"Oh hell nah, not my little sister!" Nicholas stormed through the crowd of people at my birthday dinner.

I sighed immediately putting the shot on the table "Fuck you think you doing drinking that shit?" He asked with a scowl on his face.

I rolled my eyes "Nic today is my birthday, not only is it my birthday but the big 21!"

He chuckled "I don't care"

Nic had always been super overprotective of me and it only became worse when Daddy died. Since he owned the streets of Chicago, and was highly respected. He had eyes every damn where, I couldn't do shit.

One time when I was seventeen I snuck my ex boyfriend into our apartment when he went out of town for business. We weren't chilling for five minutes before Nic called and chewed me out about it. Not only did he chew me out but he killed the boy as well... I really liked him too.

"Why you so controlling?" Korea butted in

"Shut up North Korea" He was always cracking jokes about her name.

She rolled her eyes and flicked him off

"Nic" I called out getting his attention

He looked at me, lighting the blunt he had in his hand.

"Can I please just enjoy my damn birthday?"

"Nicole you are enjoying your birthday. I payed for this expensive ass dinner, invited all your loud ass friends, and I got plenty gifts for you."

I folded my arms, putting a pout on my face... That always got him.

"Baby sis don't do that face"

I pouted harder hearing him sigh "Man fine. Drink your drinks but your ass bet not get drunk or I'm beating your ass" He turned around and headed back through the crowd.

I smiled, picking the shot back up "Girl he's like putty in your hands" Korea laughed.

We downed six shots in a row before I started feeling a slight buzz "Come on let's go talk to the guest" I stood up, smoothing out the bottom of my blue body-con dress.

"Rodney coming?" She asked

Rodney is what I guess you could call my boo, we'd been talking since my freshman year of college. We hadn't had sex or anything because I honestly didn't like him like that, but he was someone to talk to and my brother somewhat liked him.

I shrugged my shoulders "It slipped my mind to tell him" I lied, I really just didn't want him to come. He always wants to be all up on me, breathing down my neck. Like I said he's cool, but I'm not interested.

Korea laughed "Bullshit Nicole, you know you didn't forget to tell him. This dinner is all you've been talking about for months, you just didn't want him to come."