Graduation Day

Chapter 88

Graduation Day

                    "C’mon baby, you gone be late!" You stood in your bathroom mirror applying a neutral shade of lipstick, "‘I’M COMING MA!’ Shoot, just gotta fix my hair." You examined your face; todays make up was neutral as well. Your school colors were black and gold; the guys were going to wear black gowns and as for the girls, gold gowns. ‘’Okay, I think I’m ready," you said smiling at yourself. You looked gorgeous. Once you stepped outside your bathroom, you stood in front of your body mirror. Since the gown was gold, it was best to have on a black dress with black pumps. Nothing too bold was necessary. "I think I’ll snap a quick selfie for bae." *Door bursts open* "COME YOUR ASS DOWNSTAIRS NOW [YN]." " ’Yes ma’am’…..let me hurry up before this lady drive me crazy," you said snatching your purse from the bed. "Oooo shit," you said nearly tripping down the stairs, barely catching your balance. Monique so happened to see, "Oh my gosh, girl, hahaha you alright?" "Yeah, haha. Just tryna hurry up before this lady kills me," you said just before reaching the bottom of the staircase. It was Saturday and time to graduate. I think it was about 8 ‘o clock in the morning. The plan was for Mo to meet you here and then y’all ride to school. The school bus would then take you to the location where the ceremony would be held. (That’s how my graduation went.) The both of you stared at each other, "Damn, my best friend is a baddie," Mo said licking her lips. "Girl," you said gently pushing her, "Haha, thank you. You look beautiful as well." "Dah dah dah daaah, are you ladies ready or what?" He approached the both of you smiling. He was still in his PJs. "Good Morning Daddy." "Hey baby," he said kissing you on your forehead. He gave Mo a kiss as well. After she got her kiss, she blushed a bit. Monique found your dad secretly sexy. Barf lol. "Where’s ma?" "Right here," she said walking from behind the counter in the kitchen. She sipped her coffee, then stared at the both of you. "Wow, best friends since the 6th grade. Now look at you," she said with a heartwarming smile. Wasn’t she yelling and screaming just a minute ago? Bipolar ass…. She leaned in to kiss the both of you. Your mom and dad just stood there and stared at you. It took only 12 years of school just to get to this point. "Ma, Pa, this is a little awkward." "Sorry baby," your dad said wiping his eyes. You felt bad after saying that. I guess you didn’t understand that being a parent, you know can be a bit emotional. This was a very special day; life changing. You were graduating today. That walk across the stage would be a walk into adulthood. Little scary but you were ready. Ready to get this over with and move to NYC w/ bae. "Let me get a few pictures okay girls?" You nodded, then stood closer to Monique. "Say CHEEESE!" "CHEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!"

                     "Oh my gosh, I’m nervous." Monique looked at Roxanne, "Girl shut up." Everyone laughed. The Class of 2013 stood outside in the hallway, right outside the doors leading to the floor seats. Everyone was in alphabetical order but since the lines were alongside one another, you still could talk until it was time to go in. Marcus and Devin looked at you, "Why you so quiet [yn]?" "I don’t know, guess this all just feels so weird." "It does huh," Monique yelled from across the hall. "SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH," Mr. Spelman insisted. You rolled your eyes and said, "Not gone miss him, not one bit." A few people that stood nearby overheard and laughed. "C’mon [yn], you know he was good teacher," Roxanne said laughing. "Whatever." "Don’t be like that [yn], you know you gone miss him." "Mmmmm." Everyone laughed again. "What’s everyone doing after graduation," Chelsea asked. You and Chelsea weren’t as close as you were and probably never would have been but after what she and Darnell did, you definitely started talking again. Now that Donte was out of the picture, you had no reason to not speak. You decided to let the past go and move on. "How about we all meet at my crib. My dads doing some BBQ later on," Roxanne offered. "No one’s going to Pro-Grad," Devin asked looking dumb. "Hell nah, that shit gone be wack af," some random yelled. "Well, looks like Roxanne’s it is." All of a sudden, you felt this cold gush of wind blow past you. The doors opened and each line went in one by one. Butterflies filled your stomach as you walked inside. The room was dark except for the bottom area where you’d be sitting. A lot of emotions were going on right now. It was a lot to take in. "No talking," Mr. Spelman said as you walked past him. "Fuck you," the person said behind you after he passed him. You laughed so hard. Once you sat down, you awaited your name to be called. Everyone still talked lol but not you. You didn’t know what to make of this moment. The prayer was said, the principle and vice principle both spoke, Val and Sal spoke as well but you didn’t remember any of it. You were so focused on getting the fuck outta here. Before you knew it, your row stood and you walked through the back and into security to check. It all passed by so fast. After security, you were given a name card to hand to the name-reader. You heard a few people shouting your name, "[YN], [YN], [YN]!" You looked around to see where your family was. The name reader took the card from your hand and smiled before saying, "[Your First Middle & Last Name]." Right before you walked across the stage, you saw a group of people stand up. They were all jumping up and down, waving at you. You saw your parents smiling at you, along with your grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. It was great to see your support system. Alongside of them, you saw another familiar face. The both of you smiled at each other. As you walked across the stage, you felt yourself leave the past behind and step into your future.

End of Chapter