Chapter 68

I walked back down to the water and sat down. I took my shoes off and sat close enough for the water to rinse over my feet. I stayed there, ashamed over hitting my best friend and eventually, I heard a familiar voice call my name. I wiped the tears away and Liam came running over to me. He sat down next to me and took off his shoes too, then he looked at me.

Liam: You okay?

Stella: did your wife tell you what happened?

Liam: No she didn’t, she said that she was tired and was going to bed.

Stella: And where’s Eddie?

Liam: I asked him to follow her back to the room. He told me that they got off on the wrong foot so I gave him a chance to fix it.

I looked at Liam and smiled and said with sadness in my voice,

Stella: You’re a good man, Liam.

I leaned my head on his shoulder and the tears started to come again. He put his hand on my head and comforted me.

Liam: shhh, it’s fine love, whatever it is, it’ll be fine!

Stella: why do I keep fucking up everything in my life?

Liam: You’re not.

Stella: I am! I’m in Phuket with a guy I started dating a month ago, Liam. That’s pretty fucked up!

Liam: No that’s called “taking the chance as you get it”.

He said and winked at me, I couldn’t help but smile.

Stella: I’m just so weak. A couple of hours ago, I was convinced that I was “happy” but I’m starting to think that I’m delusional.

Liam: Stella… Do I need to remind you that you were the one who carried you through the heartache? You are the one who sits with the cold body on the shower floor, and picks it up. You are the one who feeds it, who clothes it, who tucks it into bed, and you should be proud of that. Having the strength to take care of yourself when everyone around you is trying to bleed you dry, that is the strongest thing in the universe.

I sighed and looked out to the water. I wanted to just walk in and disappear.

Stella: Thing is, I’m not sure I’m through the heartache…

Liam: Oh?

Stella: Keli said some things and I’m thinking that maybe she’s right.

Liam: about Niall?

I nodded and he took a deep breath and looked at me.

Liam: Well did you and Niall work things out?

Stella: God no! That would mean that he would have to actually work on something else than his number of sex partners.

Liam laughed and it was nice hearing his laugh.

Liam: Maybe you should call him and see if you can work things out, so you can get out of the heartache.

Stella: I’m not sure he would talk to me after what happened.

Liam: What happened?

Stella: He found Harry’s clothes under the couch and thought that I slept with Harry while he was in prison.

Liam: Did you?

Stella: No!

Liam: So tell him that!

Stella: I tried but he didn’t listen.

Liam: Maybe he needs to hear it again.

I shrugged my shoulders, hardly thinking that Niall would have to hear again, after 4 months, that I didn’t sleep with Harry.