Chapter 70

We walked inside and I took my shoes off in the hallway before walking into the kitchen with Niall. When his mum saw us, she smiled and grabbed the bags from Niall. She put them on the counter then walked over to me and hugged me.

Maura: I'm sorry about last time darling, will you forgive me?

She whispered and I was stunned.

Stella: What, you have nothing to be sorry about!

She looked out at me with another smile on her lips and then she went back to the stove.

Niall: You wanna-
Maura: We're having dinner in a few minutes, would you show Stella to the upstairs bedroom?
Niall: the guestroom? Why...?
Maura: Well I for one will not have her leaving without tasting my food again.

Maura smiled at me and I looked at Niall.

Stella: I could use a couple of minutes to freshen up.
Niall: okay then, this way.

He said and we walked upstairs. I remembered from the last time I was here that there was a door across the hall of Niall's bedroom and that looked to be the door to the guestroom. Niall opened it and let me walk inside.

Niall: there's a bathroom there and-
Stella: We need to talk.

I said and looked at him and from the look on his face, he also felt like we had to talk.

Niall: Yeah we do, but not right now because my mum have been working her arse off to make that dinner, she's been trying all day to keep my thoughts off Clarisse and I'm not going to let anyone ruin that!
Stella: I'm not asking you to ruin anything, I'm asking you to talk to me.
Niall: Okay look, mum is going out after dinner and since you're obviously staying... I guess we can talk then.
Stella: Good.

He nodded and turned to walk out, I didn't stop him and when he closed the door behind him, I took my phone up and dialed Mathilda's number. She answered after a couple of rings.

Mathilda: Stella? Is that you?
Stella: Yes it's me, I just wanted to let you know that I got here in one piece and if you would tell my father that I'm sorry... I'd really appreciate that.
Mathilda: don't worry Stella, your father will understand.
Stella: let's hope that's true. Thank you again.
Mathilda: Call me when you get back to England, love.

I told her I would and then we hung up. I went into the bathroom and looked myself in the mirror, got kind of depressed over how sick I looked and I used my fingers to wipe some mascara away from under my eyes. I looked in the cabinet next to the sink and found some mouthwash that I swallowed and then I made my way back downstairs.

As I got down, Niall and his mum were sitting at the table.

Maura: Everything alright?
Stella: yes, thank you.

I sat down next to Niall and he took my plate and put some food on it then put it back down infront of me and did the same with his mother's plate.

Maura: So are you kids alright with being home alone later?
Niall: Mum, we're not 12.
Maura: No... no I guess you're not. But-
Niall: We will manage aslong as you have some snacks that we can eat while watching a film.
Maura: oh not a problem, the cabinets are always filled. Guess it's a habit from when you lived here.
Niall: Great.

We had dinner and Maura told us where she was going, it was some sort of meet-up with people she went to school with and they would spend the night out in the woods because apparently, that's what teenagers did before. When I had helped Maura clean up the plates and Niall was sat in the livingroom, she turned to me.

Maura: Are the two of you okay?
Stella: Not really, but we will be.
Maura: You love him?

She asked me with some sort of pain in her voice.